Cali Kid Corals

Droopy coral

nnero66466

Supporting Member
My 2 1/2 old take started out great for my first little corals. Now they’re drooping. I’ve adjust light and wave makers. Moved them around the rock. Checked water 0 nitrates Ph 7.8 no ammonia. Getting alkaline test in couple of days. Also magnesium test kit. Have fed them as well. Any ideas what’s going on. Do I need to add calcium?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 67
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 65
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 60
You need to check alk asap. If you don’t have a test kit, please do a ( or multiple) water change . 0 nitrate is not idea but alk is the most importance.

Water change can resolve alk, ca and mg deficiency quickly especially with small tank like yours .

Get the alk, ca and mg test kit .

You need to check alk asap. If you don’t have a test kit, please do a ( or multiple) water change . 0 nitrate is not idea but alk is the most importance.

Water change can resolve alk, ca and mg deficiency quickly especially with small tank like yours .

Get the alk, ca and mg test kit .

I agree 100%

Water change while waiting for test kits.

In this order
Alkalinity first
Calcium
Magnesium
Phosphates (po4)

What kinda coral is that? Kinda looks like a leather coral or possibly a kenya tree.

1) +1 to what everyone has said about testing, and I second Michael's opinion about water changes.

2) Nitrates at 0 is *bad*. We as a hobby used to advocate for low nutrients. We now advocate for controlled and detectable nutrients. Especially soft corals really like having nutrients around, so maybe increase feeding until nitrates are between like 5 and 20.

3) You 100% need a salinity measuring instrument. I recommend a refractometer (make sure you get 35ppt calibration fluid!). I've seen so many instances of "This thing is dying" and it's because the salinity was off. Some stores sell saltwater mixed at lower salinity because it's cheaper, so if you buy saltwater pre-mixed keep this in mind. There are stores that mix at full reef salinity like the one I help out at, so just ask beforehand.

4) Certain soft corals like leathers do consume alkalinity, calcium and magnesium to build internal structures called spicules. Keep this in mind - you can't run a softy-only tank without worrying about those parameters, especially since these corals often grow extremely rapidly. For the amount of coral you have now, water changes should be fine.

5) If these corals are new, they'll often be perked up day 1 but then wilt for a few days. If everything else checks out, it might just be moody. Give it some time

I would actually check salinity first given all the ups and downs with your water level, per the other thread where @JVU made the same suggestion.

Those coral look more than unhappy, I don’t think this is an issue of alk being a little low or whatever. Something ain’t right and I am guessing salinity. This can also be solved with large changes (of the appropriate salinity…).

I forgot to ask the easiest question what city are you located in?

If you are near the santa clara I could test all those parameters for you including salinity.

If not there could be another member near you willing to check them for you.

It's a lot of information your getting, just think of it as a learning curve. There will never be a point where you stop learning new things. Even our Jedi master reefers here would agree with such a statement.

Once you get a hold of the basics of reefing It's very easy. Than It's off to the races.

Consider starting a tank journal, it’s useful to others to refrence when you have issues such as these. It's also very helpful to you as a record showing your journey and tank transformation.

You can also veiw other peoples tank journals, there are several members with awesome tanks I stalk(follow their journals) - not in the weird way lol.

How to view someone's tank journal:

Screenshot_20240828_084638_Chrome.jpg

Start by clicking on their name.
That overview pops up, click on barcode
Screenshot_20240828_084646_Chrome.jpg

Next This image pops up. On the list under tank journals you will see their journals for different tanks they may have. Click on one of them and it brings you to their journal.
Screenshot_20240828_084700_Chrome.jpg

@tribbitt I hope you don't mind I used yours for demonstration purposes. It's a bit more steps involved in viewing your own, as that doesn’t pop up when you click your own name.

To start a tank journal of your own:

Screenshot_20240828_084728_Chrome.jpg

The easy way is click the link above this ^^^, top right of page click "post thread" than your on your way.

(Alternatively once on the tank journal page you can simply scroll through and check out just about anyones set up.)

There are multiple ways to get to these things I just wanted to make it effortless for you.

Last edited:
I forgot to ask the easiest question what city are you located in?

If you are near the santa clara I could test all those parameters for you including salinity.

If not there could be another member near you willing to check them for you.

It's a lot of information your getting, just think of it as a learning curve. There will never be a point where you stop learning new things. Even our Jedi master reefers here would agree with such a statement.

Once you get a hold of the basics of reefing It's very easy. Than It's off to the races.

Consider starting a tank journal, it’s useful to others to refrence when you have issues such as these. It's also very helpful to you as a record showing your journey and tank transformation.

You can also veiw other peoples tank journals, there are several members with awesome tanks I stalk(follow their journals) - not in the weird way lol.

How to view someone's tank journal:

View attachment 59823
Start by clicking on their name.
That overview pops up, click on barcode
View attachment 59824
Next This image pops up. On the list under tank journals you will see their journals for different tanks they may have. Click on one of them and it brings you to their journal.
View attachment 59825
@tribbitt I hope you don't mind I used yours for demonstration purposes. It's a bit more steps involved in viewing your own, as that doesn’t pop up when you click your own name.

To start a tank journal of your own:

View attachment 59826

The easy way is click the link above this ^^^, top right of page click "post thread" than your on your way.

(Alternatively once on the tank journal page you can simply scroll through and check out just about anyones set up.)

There are multiple ways to get to these things I just wanted to make it effortless for you.
I’m actually journaling in a note book that I started couple of days ago ( are you a mind reader?? ). Also salinity tester coming today as well as alkalinity test kit. ATO system as well. Waiting on magnesium and phosphate testers that will be here beginning September. So far parameter tested are fine except 0 for nitrates Ph 7.8 with 0 ammonia. Did water change today. However droopy little coral that was mushroom like was gone… not there on frag piece.

I should elaborate more.

Once you pass initial tank cycle , unless you have a major fish/coral die off, it’s unlikely you’ll have ammonia issue. Per your description, your tank is 2.5 yrs old, way pass cycle .

As for ph, it’s the last thing you need to worry about. Unless you are doing kalk, have a ca reactor etc, don’t brother about ph. I didn’t know my tank ph for the longest time and have been successful with sps .

If you have too much time and nothing else to do, then you are free to chase ph. I tried and failed .

I should elaborate more.

Once you pass initial tank cycle , unless you have a major fish/coral die off, it’s unlikely you’ll have ammonia issue. Per your description, your tank is 2.5 yrs old, way pass cycle .

As for ph, it’s the last thing you need to worry about. Unless you are doing kalk, have a ca reactor etc, don’t brother about ph. I didn’t know my tank ph for the longest time and have been successful with sps .

If you have too much time and nothing else to do, then you are free to chase ph. I tried and failed .
Thank you…one less thing to worry about. Tank is only 2 1/2 mths and can’t wait for its growing pains to be done, at least for the time being.

Ok the salinity seems to be the problem. 38ppt or 1.030 on the meter. This is after a partial water change this morning. Alkalinity I came up with also high at 15.3. Will add some r/o water and retest in the morning.

Ok the salinity seems to be the problem. 38ppt or 1.030 on the meter. This is after a partial water change this morning. Alkalinity I came up with also high at 15.3. Will add some r/o water and retest in the morning.
You have to take out more water, not just change it. To lower salinity a portion needs to be totally replaced if that makes since. Example take out 7 gallons from tank, add 5 gallons of salt mixed at 0.25 ( you could go lower in the saltwater your adding but involes alot more salinty checking )and 2 gallons of straight ro. I'm not saying that's the proper ratio amounts for your tank, only so you get a clear idea of how to go about lowering salinity.

*** always unplug ato before water. Changes fyi it will flood your tank with ro giving you the oppsite issue you describe here. Plug it back after water change.***

*****ensure the ato line that drips into your tank is only a inch in the tank keep it well above the tanks max water line to prevent a reverse sphion from tank to rodi storage container. *****

***Always check premade salt water before adding it to your tank. Some stores sell it lower, others sell it at higher salinity. Check each time never assume based on past experiences.***

The ***** above are common sense things to most reefers, but things new people never know about until it's a issue.

Did you dose add anything for alkalinity?

What salt are you using for the tank?
Some salts are high alkalinity meant for people loaded with corals where their tank consumes enough to level things out. Low stocked tank means not enough coral to aborb the higher alk resulting in your alk rising.

And what test kits are you using as they aren't all created equal ?

Last edited:
You have to take out more water, not just change it. To lower salinity a portion needs to be totally replaced if that makes since. Example take out 7 gallons from tank, add 5 gallons of salt mixed at 0.25 ( you could go lower in the saltwater your adding but involes alot more salinty checking )and 2 gallons of straight ro.

*** always unplug ato before water. Changes fyi it will flood your tank with ro giving you the oppsite issue you describe here. Plug it back after water change.***

Always check premade salt aater before adding it to your tank. Some stores sell it lower, others sell it at higher salinity. Check each time never assume based on past experiences.

I'm not saying that's the proper ratio amounts for your tank, only so you get a clear idea of how to go about lowering salinity.

Some salts are high alkalinity meant for people loaded with corals where their tank consumes enough to level things out. Low stocked tank means not enough coral to aborb the higher alk resulting in your alk rising.

Kenny provides the saltwater and looking up solutions for both problems it said to add plain r/o water in small increments to adjust tank. Used the salivary KH/Alk

You have to take out more water, not just change it. To lower salinity a portion needs to be totally replaced if that makes since. Example take out 7 gallons from tank, add 5 gallons of salt mixed at 0.25 ( you could go lower in the saltwater your adding but involes alot more salinty checking )and 2 gallons of straight ro. I'm not saying that's the proper ratio amounts for your tank, only so you get a clear idea of how to go about lowering salinity.

*****ensure the ato line that drips into your tank is only a inch in the tank keep it well above the tanks max water line to prevent a reverse sphion from tank to rodi storage container. *****

***Always check premade salt water before adding it to your tank. Some stores sell it lower, others sell it at higher salinity. Check each time never assume based on past experiences.***

The ***** above are common sense things to most reefers, but things new people never know about until it's a issue.

Gonna do the remix now and test in the morning. Didn’t know about test new water before adding it to the tank. Learning every day.

Kenny provides the saltwater and looking up solutions for both problems it said to add plain r/o water in small increments to adjust tank. Used the salivary KH/Alk
Same thing mentioned above **** applies check the salinty regardless of where you get the water.

If it’s higher salinty add a little ro to before adding it to tank easier done outside the tank. Add a little at a time stir it up and check it again till it's where you want it.

Ok it’s kinda like I thought and posted way earlier - salinity was off.

Do not worry about alkalinity, since salinity is high your alk will be high. Purely worry about water change and correcting salinity right now.

Once that is solved then consider the parameters of the salt.

Did you calibrate the refractometer?

Back