Reef nutrition

easier way to test water parameters?

Ordering that cuvette stand, thank you for recommendation! I was always confused why nobody made something to get the little reagent packets into the tube without spilling half of it lol
There's also this, if you have a 3D printer/access to one (or can wait till the upcoming frag swap for me or another member to print one): https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5341026

I have an alternative to water tests…don’t!!
You system is small enough
Buy NSW from store
Heat it
If you do regular (every 7-10days)
30% or more

You could have the store verify water chemistry at the store if you’re curious

I am many years in with this method

Ordering that cuvette stand, thank you for recommendation! I was always confused why nobody made something to get the little reagent packets into the tube without spilling half of it lol
Just ordered two myself-granted I had two small funnels but then I was smudging the glass holding them.

Hey guys wondering if there’s an easier way to test MG, KH, and CA. As of right now I’m currently using the Red Sea kit, but it’s so tedious being precise with drops and shaking for x amount of seconds ect. What do you guys use to test your water parameters?
Can I ask for the specs on your tank-
Namely size, duration it’s been running, LPS/SPS, softies, and what are you using to dose (if any?) , and where do you live? Sorry I couldn’t find a tank journal.

Right now-I am using a trident and given my investment in more and more SPS coral- I think a wise investment. But if I was just running softies -maybe not. But I would still test on a regular basis.

I dose all for reef and it’s pretty stable until I add a few sps frags or I make a dosing regiment change -ie trace elements that suddenly increased my alk consumption.,so it was good to catch that earlier.

I have used Hanna before for alk and ca. alk was fine but CA if I recall had a couple of steps but both were a lot easier than whatever color coding tests I was using before (can’t recall)

If you are relatively close to aquatic collection they have their test for $13 that outputs those values plus NO3 and PO4.

Just ordered this. Thanks for sharing. I thought I had already all of these little helpful upgrades. :)

I also use amongst other things these

And this

And this

Hmm, I may pick up that curvette stand. I figure the easier you make testing the more likely you will do it every week! I also use one of those lab adjustable pipettor's---super useful!

Last edited:
Back