Reef nutrition

Eunice (bobbit) worms

Anyone have any experience with traps that will work for Eunice worms? Hehe. I have not one but TWO worms in my tank (that I know). I bought a trap from Amazon but the smallest part of the tube opening is a bit too small for the worm to feel comfy going all the way in. Here's a video of it going into the opening and then retracting:

Interestingly enough I saw it scraping film off the aquarium walls. That must be what it's subsisting on all this time. It becomes harder to set a trap for these guys since you have to beat back the Nassarius that are also going for the bait.

Better act quick on those worms. Yers ago my brother discovered one after corals mysteriously disappeared. It was at night when it happened and the only way he was able to get it out was with long nose needle pliers and patience with no lights.

How sure are you of the type of worm? Eunice worms are horrifying, get huge, and eat fish. There are lots of other types of worms that are a lot less scary. I couldn’t tell from your video.

Here’s a crazy scary video about them:

Not helpful to you maybe but I came across this remarkable video on catching Eunice worms in the ocean:

Not 100% but I count 5 antennae and saw the mandibles in a closed position being used as a scraper on the glass walls. I have bristleworms in the tank and can immediately identify them. It's so hard to take a decent pic of the Eunice since they're so tiny right now and I have to stay up crazy hours or wake up really early with a red flashlight. Only reason I got the video is cuz I woke up cuz of the heat.

I can't use that catching technique on these guys. Still way too small and they're hiding in a rock covered with GSP that I happen to like.

I would pull everything that you know does NOT have the undesirable worms
And toss the rest and assume you will have to repeat this process for remaining worms

if you don't, I fear they will eat what you have paid money for and are trying to grow

Definitely a Eunice. See the white band behind the head. I also count 5 antennae.

20200529_065251-01.jpeg

One down, one to go.

20200721_221438.jpg

20200721_221344.jpg

Squirted Aiptasia and Majano remover into his hole and he practically flew out. I grabbed forceps and picked him up. He broke off his tail to distract me. Got him and his tail out of the tank.

Back