got ethical husbandry?

Euroreef rs80 or cs6-1

Dyngoe

Supporting Member
Hey All,

I was just about to upgrade my cs6-1 with a gate mod and a recirc mod to replace my existing (my friend's) rs80 and then I had to pause. I am wondering if the cs6-1 is actually an upgrade to the rs80. Looks like they have similar ratings. Anyone have input to help me decide?

D

The old style 6-1 has a six inch body

I think the rs80 has a five inch body if I'm correct. The RS80 seems to have a better build.

Hey Eileen,

Yes, the old CS6-1 is a 6" body and 20" tall. The RS80 is 5" body and 22" tall. Both use a sedra3500, which I will be upgrading soon regardless of which I decide to keep.

BTW, your RBTA is very healthy in my tank but it's a wanderer. It has moved all over the tank since it first found a home.

Hi - I have an RS80 now and I want to upgrade the pump on it.. what do I buy which would be a good fit physically, but with max performance?

edit: current pump is an SP2 pinwheel pump... so maybe an SP3? SEDRA 5000A? same pump, right?

also interested in what pumps you all are thinking of using to upgrade the rs80/ER sp 2 pump and if you have any sense of what kind of increased performance we are talking about..

I'm after better skimming, but I don't have a ton of space in my sump for a larger skimmer than the RS80.. so I thought "hey, get the pump from one of the larger RS models.." anyways.. so I am not sure the SP3 is the right fit, but I have ample power for it.. or are we more worried about heat? anyways, my other option was to go for a new skimmer.. Tunes makes some nice looking Skimmers which are very small.. what little I have read about them is very good so far.. this is the one I was most interested in

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=TZ5335

for my 85 (25 gal sump)... I know prolly overkill, but I am going to stock this tank up soon.. it's finally starting to look and behave more like a mature tank.. only took about a year.. lol. anyways..

I'm not sure about the rs80.

I know that if you were to throw a sedra 5000 sp3 on a ER6-1 it would be a wasted upgrade. I haven't tried this, but I recall others saying it do much.

I recall people who had turned the 6-1 into a recirc did not see much improvement.

yeah, maybe the reaction chamber isn't big enough to yeild a lot of benefit from more flow.. or maybe the extra power will make it difficult to tune.. well, I'll do some more homework before making any purchases. :)

Hi All,

Well.....I just got the word from Euroreef:

The 6-1 is the same skimmer as the 100. The 6-1 was renamed to the 100. The rs80 is rated for a 80 gallon system and the 6-1 is rated for a 100 gallon system. It would be better to go with the bigger skimmer.

I guess my question is answered.

Back