Our mission

Faux-catcha

1 medium russet potato (~9 oz) peeled and quartered
1 1/2 t instant yeast
3 1/2 c. All Purpose Flour ('0') I like King Arther
1 c. warm water
2 T. extra virgin olive oil, plus tons more for the bowl and baking pan
1 1/4 t. Kosher salt (I like Diamond Crystal)

1. Boil potato and run through a ricer (I guess a cheese grater would work if you don't have a ricer)

2. Using the paddle on your standing mixer, process the yeast 1/2c flour and 1/2c warm water and cover tightly and set aside until bubbly. Ususally that takes about 20 minutes, however, I let it sit in a cooler place for several hours to develop some flavor.

3. Add the remaining ingredients to the mix starting with the olive oil and salt, then adding the potato and flour. Using your dough hook knead until smooth and elastic.

4. Transfer to an oiled bowl making sure the dough ball is covered with oil throughout. Cover tightly and place in a warm, draft free area for about an hour or until doubled in volume.

5. Transfer to a well oiled baking sheet, you want to have the bottom of the bread fry in the oil so be generous, it's olive oil, not lard. Stretch the dough out on the baking sheet and try to make the dough as even in thickness as possible, if the dough doesn't cooperate, step back take a moment and catch your breath, ~5 min then try again when the gluten has had a chance to relax. Cover the dough with plastic wrap making sure that the dough is well oiled enough to have the wrap not stick to the dough. Let dough rise in a warm area for ~1hour.

6. Preheat oven to 425 degrees and adjust rack to middle position. With your finger tips dimple the surface of the bread, the dimples should be deep enough to hold pools of olive oil herbs etc.

7. Drizzle with olive oil, herbs (thyme, rosemary, and oregano work well), and coarse sea salt (I like Baleen).

8. Bake for 25 minutes or until the top browns slightly. Cut and eat while still warm, focaccia does not age well and will be stale in less than 24 hrs.

If you do not have a standing mixer you can hand knead as well, it's not too much of a big effort, but I'm lazy :D

Back