Our mission

Gem Tang Price Drop?

nanoguy

Supporting Member
Went by Aquatic Collections today and saw a couple of small gem tangs for sale...$350 each. Before I got out of the hobby awhile ago, the same size would sell for $800-$1000 if you can even find one for sale. Seems like everything else is skyrocketing in price, so this came as quite a surprise for me. I asked one of the employees there how often they get them in and I was told "quite often." I was like ....WHAT???? SERIOUSLY???? Quite often??? On the flip side, I really wanted some blotched anthias...had 4 in my old system. I think I paid $80 each? Saw a few for $350 a piece. Geez...I've been gone for way too long.

No kidding right? I saw those gems there a few times and it's tempting as hell, but can't due to tank size. Ended up asking Karson to order a Starck's damsel for me instead (he brought 6 in). Sucker doesn't mow algae down like a tang does, but so far it's doing a good job nipping away at the algae in the tank, where it's noticeable.

I also picked up a female divided wrasse awhile back for $85. Those used to be much less expensive from what I remember, but hey, it's healthy and been eating pellets like a champ.

Back