got ethical husbandry?

Gha outbreak problem

popper

Supporting Member
came home after 4 days away. Found green hair algae dominate the tank. It is its 4th week cycle I think. Tested PO4 is 0.25. Thats probably high right? Since I have the reactor why did gha outbreak? I see in cave there’s no gha. So I’m cutting the light

50g nuvo aio
Phosphate IM media reactor
Two zoas
No fish
Ap9x
Mp10
Aquamaxx HOB1.5 on the way
2 snails

Should I scrub the rocks and if so will gha return? Do I need a different reactor?

4CD1CE92-4C23-49BD-BCE0-175FB1E700E9.jpeg

That looks normal to me. My tank did the same after cycling and it never got worse. The right snails could help keep it at bay. For 50g, you could use a lot more than 2 snails.

A few things:

1. 0.25 phosphate is pretty high.
2. That's not GHA, unless there's something I'm not seeing; my rocks turned green like that as well prior to coralline growth.
3. You say you have two snails - what kind of snails are they? That's likely not sufficient for a 50g tank but, say, two turbo snails would be much different than two trochus snails.

If you shot it with a blast of water from a turkey baster or a power head pointed at the rock, does the brown stuff come off? Does it go away when the lights are off and return when they come back on?

With it not growing in the cave when it doesn’t get light and fresh rock I would suspect diatoms. But I am not positive

If you shot it with a blast of water from a turkey baster or a power head pointed at the rock, does the brown stuff come off? Does it go away when the lights are off and return when they come back on?

With it not growing in the cave when it doesn’t get light and fresh rock I would suspect diatoms. But I am not positive

Yeah; what max_nano said. Hard to ID what it is from a macro perspective then. If it's not gone in the next couple weeks, or you just want a confirmation on what it is, let me know. Happy to meet up at Neptune or somewhere in SJ and pick up a water sample for you and ID it under my scope.

it's brown hair

2 trochus snails
light been off for 24 hours...no difference.

I scraped the hair off the back wall...they were waving
powerhead direct to the hair didn't make help

You can see under the bridge there is zero algae

Back