Reef nutrition

Glad to see local-ish reefers!

Hello everyone, my name is Forrest and I've had my little Biocube 14 up and running since January. Thanks to the expenses involved with being a college student, it is stocked to the brim with fairly common and cheap corals--but I love it. I have always been mildly obsessed with marine biology, chemistry, and microbiology, so I was very glad to begin a hobby that so completely meshed these interests. I've kept fish tanks since I was very little, but this is my first saltwater experience. Thanks to a little pre-game know how and my penchant for over the top research, I seem to be doing well thus far.

Enough about me, and on the salty stuff!

Equipment

Biocube 14 with stock lighting and pump
Koralia Nano 240 for a little extra flow
inTank media rack running filter floss, Chemipure, and Chaetomorpha

Livestock

Purple fire fish
A rather 'touched' neon blue cleaner goby
Kryptonite candy cane
Teal candy cane
Christmas favia
Green purple tipped frogspawn
Bi-color frogspawn
Blue tipped pocillopora
Whammin' Watermelon zoanthids
Devil's Armor zoanthids
Purple Death Palythoas
Alpha & Omega zoanthids
Fire and Ice zoanthids
Lord of the Ring zoanthids
Green Lantern zoanthids
Jade Something or Other zoanthids
Tubb's Blue zoanthids
Neon green rhodactis mushroom
Purple mushroom
Superman mushroom
Mystery mushroom (red with blue-white border)
Ricordea mushrooms
CUC mostly composed of various snails
Many a planaria which I am currently waging squidgy war against

Eventually I am looking to upgrade my lighting to LEDs so I can accomadate more SPS. Other than that, my wishlist is fairly small, I'm really interested in purple stylophora, purple plating montipora capricornis, purple and blue or green acanthastrea, sexy anemone shrimp, and I'm always looking for zoanthids. I have a serious weakness for anything purple or blue, haha.

I'm looking forward to connecting with local reefers and am very much interested in trading with and buying from fellow hobbyists as opposed to larger sites or sellers. Glad to see there is till an active group of reefers in the Bay Area. Looking forward to talking reef with fellow hobbyists!

Welcome Forrest to our club ! We love pics of other folks tanks also. :) Please take advantage all that BAR has to offer by becoming a full fledge member...it's the best 30 bucks you will spend in the hobby !

Haha, I will definitely be getting some pictures up soon. I love the entire idea of this club, too. I'm sort of a communist reefer, I'm always ranting at my friends and family about the incredibly silly prices on animals that grow exponentially--they don't know what I'm talking about, but they nod and smile anyway. It's nice to find a group of like-minded reefers.

FeliciaLynn said:
Welcome! Where are you in college?
I'm going to school at Santa Rosa Junior College, and transferring to Davis in two years. :glasses:

Here's a current FTS, ugly aquascape and all. (I do apologize for the quality.)
Qqph2oD.jpg

A few frags I recently traded for.
GcQrLMh.jpg

yFFvDb8.jpg

Nice! I asked where you were going to college because I'm a grad student at UC Berkeley. The club is a great resource and I agree that it is the best $30 you'll spend.

ForrestG said:
I'm going to school at Santa Rosa Junior College, and transferring to Davis in two years. :glasses:

Cool, a local (to me!)

Welcome to the club! Let me know if you are interested in carpooling to the meets.

Looks great! That CUC is destroying that new frag of all that algae :p[/quote]

Oh yes, they were all very excited, there is little to no algae in my tank, aside from a few spots of bubble algae. There was quite a hubbub when the new frags dropped in :)

650-IS350 said:
WeLcOmE to the club. I think for a college students budget you've done pretty good on your tank and stock list.
Thanks! I really can't afford this hobby, but I make do with sales, and buying very very small frags, haha. A very small budget adds the next level of reefing challenge: accounting!

bondolo said:
Welcome! I have the purple plating montipora you need! Perhaps I can send a chunk your way with aqua-nut at the July tank tour.

Oh man! I can't tell you how much that would mean to me. I've been chasing that coral for months! Let me know when, where, and how much.

Also, I want to thank everyone else for all the 'welcomes', I'm excited to start connecting with other reefnuts in the area. I'll have to start setting aside money for the mebership, this club looks to be an amazing opportunity filled with amazing members. Other forums seem to turn their noses at a 19 year old reefer with a thin wallet, so thanks guys!

ForrestG said:
bondolo said:
Welcome! I have the purple plating montipora you need! Perhaps I can send a chunk your way with aqua-nut at the July tank tour.

Oh man! I can't tell you how much that would mean to me. I've been chasing that coral for months! Let me know when, where, and how much.

Also, I want to thank everyone else for all the 'welcomes', I'm excited to start connecting with other reefnuts in the area. I'll have to start setting aside money for the mebership, this club looks to be an amazing opportunity filled with amazing members. Other forums seem to turn their noses at a 19 year old reefer with a thin wallet, so thanks guys!

Hey, that's what the DBTC program is for... you don't need a wallet! :p

Back