Kessil

Hard/impossible to catch reef fish

nlopedota

Under the Sea Aquatics
LFS Owner
So I got a bit ahead of myself and bought way too many fish for our system. They grew quickly and now I feel bad for them as they should have much more space. My LFS will house them for us until our 250 is ready for them.

we’re having a difficult time catching them with a net. I’ve caught many fish and understand that come from underneath the technique. Her tank is loaded with Coral at this point I’m going to try starving them I think to get them to come to the surface when I do feet to try and pluck them out.

Does anybody have any advice as to how I should try to remove these fish or possibly have a fish trap of some kind that I might be able to borrow or purchase from you thank you everybody for your support. Sincerely Nick and Melissa lopedota

Attachments

• 22B3E88E-9091-4A03-B9A1-5A5A481F90D0.jpeg
    22B3E88E-9091-4A03-B9A1-5A5A481F90D0.jpeg
    199.9 KB · Views: 92
So I got a bit ahead of myself and bought way too many fish for our system. They grew quickly and now I feel bad for them as they should have much more space. My LFS will house them for us until our 250 is ready for them.

we’re having a difficult time catching them with a net. I’ve caught many fish and understand that come from underneath the technique. Her tank is loaded with Coral at this point I’m going to try starving them I think to get them to come to the surface when I do feet to try and pluck them out.

Does anybody have any advice as to how I should try to remove these fish or possibly have a fish trap of some kind that I might be able to borrow or purchase from you thank you everybody for your support. Sincerely Nick and Melissa lopedota
The club has fish traps to borrow. Starve them a bit then try the trap or feed them everyday out of the trap is my preferred method until they're comfortable going in for food then shut the door while the one you want is in. I also prefer to just set the trap right below the water line and prop the door at an angle then just shut it with my finger rather than using the pull string (this method will depend on which trap you have)

The club has fish traps to borrow. Starve them a bit then try the trap or feed them everyday out of the trap is my preferred method until they're comfortable going in for food then shut the door while the one you want is in. I also prefer to just set the trap right below the water line and prop the door at an angle then just shut it with my finger rather than using the pull string (this method will depend on which trap you have)
I was just gonna say that.

If traps don’t work or rockscape is solid try cutting a large piece of egg crate. Cut it to match the depth and height of rocks then sweep the egg crate from one end to the other at a 45 degree angle pushing the fish up for more containment and better chances of netting. Can be tricky with pinnacles. Or use two shorter pieces of crate. Good luck!

Easiest to catch a fish while it's sleeping. Wake up in the middle of the night and shine a flash light into its eyes to daze it. You'll have a minute to catch it before it darts away.

All sounds good rock scape is solid so can’t remove. How do I acquire one of the fish traps from the club? Would love to use a par meter as well take some of the guess work out of the coral placement. Thanks for all the support.

Cheers
Nick and Melissa

Attachments

• 1713B45C-4CA4-4BED-965D-0B884904FE02.jpeg
    1713B45C-4CA4-4BED-965D-0B884904FE02.jpeg
    200.2 KB · Views: 84
All sounds good rock scape is solid so can’t remove. How do I acquire one of the fish traps from the club? Would love to use a par meter as well take some of the guess work out of the coral placement. Thanks for all the support.

Cheers
Nick and Melissa

This is the tracking thread for the fish trap https://www.bareefers.org/forum/threads/borrowing-the-club’s-fish-trap.24393/page-6#post-475560

You can reserve any of the equipment via BARcode, just get in line and message someone that has the item available. https://barcode.bareefers.org/

It might take a day or a week with the trap, but throwing food in it helps them get comfortable. It's kinda fun fishing with it, but fish can be unpredictable.

Back