Reef nutrition

Hey can someone help me remove a scratch on my tank ?

Twisted

Supporting Member
I recently got a used tank and it has scratches on it :( does anyone know how to to move them off a glass tank ?
image.jpg

That’s not gonna be a easy task, and you will have to rotate that side on table and use some fine sandpaper sweat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hire someone. It takes time, tools, and skills.
Might be easier to replace the glass panel.

I tried to get rid of scratches myself on my acyrlic aquarium, which is MUCH easier than glass.
It took a long time, and I still did not get all the deep ones.
I was too timid with the really coarse abrasives.

Hire someone. It takes time, tools, and skills.
Might be easier to replace the glass panel.

I tried to get rid of scratches myself on my acyrlic aquarium, which is MUCH easier than glass.
It took a long time, and I still did not get all the deep ones.
I was too timid with the really coarse abrasives.
any idea who to hire ? I live in San Mateo

any idea who to hire ? I live in San Mateo
Don't know myself. Talk to local glass repair companies. The auto guys fix similar scratches, and might do it.

One piece of advice if you do it yourself - practice.
Get a piece of glass, scratch it, and do the exact planned procedure.

Had East Bay Glass over not too long ago to replace a bad window. I had them look at a scratched tank and asked if they could remove it and/or if they thought it was possible to have it look clear after it had been removed. Guy replied "No and No".

I filled it with water in my backyard and the scratches are almost invisible! Thank God!!
Yes, scratches disappear nicely with water in them.
The bad news though: algae and coraline love the cracks. So they show up quickly if you do not clean often.
Also the real lights make them show up a bit more.

Basically : You will know they are there, be annoyed, but almost nobody else will ever notice.

The bad news though: algae and coraline love the cracks. So they show up quickly if you do not clean often.

Basically : You will know they are there, be annoyed, but almost nobody else will ever notice.
:(

i agree with the above except I think with how deep they look they will be noticeable by anyone

Suggestion: If it is still full of water, wait until night, then put some bright lights in there.
See how visible it is.

As far as fixing:
You could call one of the custom tank builders, and see how much it would cost to replace the glass.
It looks rimless, so might not be that labor intensive.
As a bonus you could replace with starphire.

Sorry to hear you got that tank. Glass is difficult and pricey to remove. Check YouTube.

unless it’s a special tank, better off to find a replacement tank. There’s some good deal right now.

The scratch isn't A big deal at all it’s pretty small and I can’t see it all. I put a Radeon on it with the tank full of water when it got dark and can’t really see it at all.I definitely lucked out just have to clean it so algae doesn’t grow. ( it looks bigger and deeper in the pic because it had salt on it) Mabe down the road I’ll swap the glass in front but at the moment I don’t care at all. I read tons of reviews on the YouTube videos of people completely ruining their tank by scratching the tanks even more or completely cracking it! I reached out to a few people and it would cost like $400 To remove the crack. The better option would be to replace the glass but that’s even more expensive!

Glad it does not show much.
Sounds to me like you should be fine then.
On the plus side, when you inevitably scratch the tank yourself, you won't be quite so mad.

Around $400 seems reasonable. It is a lot of work. Probably similar to replace the panel.

Back