Cali Kid Corals

Hi from the UK

Out of interest, do many folks use natural sea water in the area? I live in the middle of England at the moment, so NSW wasn't viable, but I really like the idea of living in Pacifica/Montara/Half-moon Bay and using NSW.

Natural sea water here is not viable.

Though I haven't tested the water quality of the coast/bays here, I don't think the water quality is good enough to sustain a reef tank without consistent hair algae blooms/poor coral health. I don't know of any person that straight up pulls water from the ocean. If you go down to Los Angeles and San Diego they can use seawater directly from the ocean. But I don't recommend doing it here.

Neptune Aquatics uses natural sea water but I believe it is filtered.

BUT i could be wrong. Let's wait to see who chimes in.

@BAYMAC would know.

This is kinda off topic but in Santa Barbara (near Los Angeles area) they have a spigot on the UCSB campus where you can get Natural Salt Water for free. Peep this thread. http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=541355

Last edited:
Natural sea water here is not viable.

Though I haven't tested the water quality of the coast/bays here, I don't think the water quality is good enough to sustain a reef tank without consistent hair algae blooms/poor coral health. I don't know of any person that straight up pulls water from the ocean. If you go down to Los Angeles and San Diego they can use seawater directly from the ocean. But I don't recommend doing it here.

Neptune Aquatics uses natural sea water but I believe it is filtered.

BUT i could be wrong. Let's wait to see who chimes in.

@BAYMAC would know.

This is kinda off topic but in Santa Barbara (near Los Angeles area) they have a spigot on the UCSB campus where you can get Natural Salt Water for free. Peep this thread. http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=541355
That's interesting - thanks. Any idea what makes it non-viable? I guess there can't be much farm runoff at Pacifica. Is the SF sewage pumped straight into the sea?

Anyway, touched down at SFO today, I'll hit the DMV and open a bank account tomorrow, then start my new job on Monday. It's been a busy few weeks. Can't wait to start a new tank :)

Back