got ethical husbandry?

Hippo Tang with Ich

My hippo Tang's ich seems to be getting worse and now my yellow tang is showing signs of it...Previously was able to beat it with Medic but now it doesnt seem to be working.

Anything I can do? I can't catch the fish unfortunately...Would rather not ride it out and see what survives, but not sure what else there is to do

Crazy man have a hippo tang with skin issues and my yellow tang just caught it. Same situation. I’m trying to catch it and do a fresh water dip and take it from there. Sorry can’t help with the ich just crazy I have almost the exact same issue

Try the parasite remedy from Imaginatarium. Works well for me . So much so, i stock this things on hand at all times.

Reef safe. Just pull out carbon and follow instructions

If one fish has signs, then all fish are exposed. Of course, the best and only real remedy is to catch all fish and treat them in hospital tank and leave the main tank fallow for several months. If you don’t have any inverts, then it’s much easier to deal with.

What are you feeding? What size system?

Catching and treating are your best bet, although I would not do a freshwater dip. If that isn't an option diet is the next one. Used to know a guy who had a constant ich issue, turns out he was never feeding nori. Added that and went several years without a visible outbreak, and that was prompted by adding a fish that was way to big for the tank and a messy eater at that (big puffer). Sure it was there the whole time, but the fish didn't show outbreaks and grew fat in the interim.

You may already be feeding a solid diet (how much, how often?), but its worth mentioning just in case.

Unfortunately, there are only 3 options:

1) Remove ALL fish from tank, and treat them.
Various options. Copper, hypo, TTM.
And keep fish out of tank for at least a month.

2) Remove all CORAL from tank, and treat the fish in DT.
It can actually be easier to put coral in QT than fish if you only have a few.
But only Hypo. No copper in main tank!!!!

3) Do nothing.
Keep parameters perfect. Feed some extra nori and quality frozen food. Do a few extra water changes.
UV can help a bit.
Fish do have immune systems. Expect some to die, but you may get lucky.
This option can be better than QT done wrong, which is why I do consider it a real option
for those that do not have good QT systems or experience.

But there is definitely no magic cure. Do not waste your money on "reef safe" ich cures. They do not exist.

I just treat the whole system with that Imaginatarium stuff. Dunno what's in there but have successfully battled ich everytime it rears its ugly head using it.

Smells like orange oil though.

Every time I see ich I jump up and down three times and on the third time I do a full spin. Not sure why it works, but it does. I swear. It seems important to get the spin to be exactly 360 degrees.

Last edited:
I just treat the whole system with that Imaginatarium stuff. Dunno what's in there... Smells like orange oil though.

The Petco website lists the ingredients in the comments section: Deionized Water D-Limonene Butylated Hydroxytoluene (BHT) Tagetes Oil Black Pepper Oil Neem Oil EZ-Mulse Crovol PK-70 (Glycerex) Germaben II Polyvinylpyrrolidone K29/32 Triethylene Glycol
  1. The only thing in that list that I'd put in my reef is the deionized water. A breakdown of the list in lay-man's terms is: water, an antioxidant, tagetes oil, (orange smell), pepper oil, neem oil, surfactants (soap) to emulsify the oil in the water so that they don't pool on the top, preservatives, and a plasticizer.

2. The main ingredient seems to be the neem oil and it's not something I'd put in my tank or subject fish to (from wikipedia): The ingestion of neem oil, even in small doses, is severely toxic and can induce metabolic acidosis, seizures, renal failure, encephalopathy and severe brain ischemia.[4][5] Neem oil should not be consumed, particularly by pregnant women, women trying to conceive, or children.[6] It can also be associated with allergic contact dermatitis.

3. There is nothing in this list that's going to help with marine ich and the online reviews reflect this:

"Even though the label says it's for fresh and salt water, it is not safe for reef tanks.( I wish I had read this info at the PETCO website before I bought this product there. On that website you can scroll to the comments section and the Petco representative states that "This product is not recommended for reef tanks") I followed the dosage directions and also took out the carbon filters, and immediately the corals started to withdraw and shrink. Then 2 days later I had to do a water change because my yellow tang and firefish had died. One week after I did the water change, my corals eventually started to return to normal. That was after only one dose of Imagitarium Parasite Remedy. DO NOT USE THIS CHEMICAL UNLESS YOU WANT TO START OVER!!!"

"Unfortunately, this product did not work for me. I followed the instructions exactly and my fish died on the 3rd day after the first application :("

"I bought this product on the recommendation of the sales person she was nice and seemed knowledgeable with Ick troubles.I follow the directions to the letter and a week later I only had a body count for my efforts..."

"Does not work. Put it in my reef tank and it did nothing at all."

Last edited:
I'm on day 3 of their 6 day treatment, So that's 1 day of dose, 1 empty day, 1 day of dose...It's definitely cleared up the blue tang. I'm aware of the lifecycle so I'm not counting it as a win yet.

Corals seem to be doing okay. Acros still have really good PE, and my cucumbers, and nems are still out and about. I will be doing a larger water change at the end of day 6 since my skimmer has been off

All I can say folks is that I am sharing success I've had. The stuff made a believer out of me as it has worked consistently over the past year across all my tanks. And at times, have worked when all else failed. I tried it as a hail mary at first.

I've done hypo, TTM, etc. they sometimes work...sometimes kinda work...and sometimes not. depends on how bad the situation is... and often times, at least for me, you can't catch every fish in the system. So you have to treat the whole system. Even hypo and TTM still requires you to run your tank fallow if you are to be successful.

Thus far, I haven't had any damage to the stock in my tanks so as long as the dosing instructions are followed by splitting a day's worth over two doses. I do mine 12 hours apart...and run carbon at the end of the cycle. I don't even bother to change water or run a skimmer, fwiw.

That said, there are a lot of things we put into out tanks that we wouldn’t subject people, let alone pregnant women too... lol. :)

Imigitarium really exists - that is so funny. :rolleyes:

I thought people were being sarcastic, and making up a fake product based on "imagination"
But it turns out Petco is.
lol -- not sure if it's PetCo's brand or just another generic label but you can find it on Amazon as well... They make pretty nice product btw... I got a 3G AIO to use as a QT... and the sump area is well designed.

;)

instaflow.jpg

Back