High Tide Aquatics

How much light does a Maxima clam require?

In the coral farmers market last month, I picked up a beautiful Maxima Clam. It looks beautiful and I am super happy. This is my first time trying to keep a clam. I ensure that water chemistry is maintained. Ca - 420ish, Alk 8.5, Mg - 1250+. This is a Nuvo 20g aquarium, I have been regular with water changes.

The clam opens up very nicely. I think it looks even better than how it looked at when I picked up.

Every forum/video I look up talks about how important lighting is for a clam. How much light is enough for a clam?
Currently I only have a Kessil A160 WE set to 80% brightness. It's about 8 inches above the water level. The clam is on the sandbed (approximately 12 inches below water -- 20ish inches from the light). If I had to guess the light is between 150-170 par. Is that enough for a maxima clam?

Note: I am not feeding the clam anything.

IMG_20200210_143732.jpg

I would not suggest relying on guessing at what the PAR is, unless your guess is based on previous PAR meter readings.

With that light I'd put it halfway up on a rock so that probably means the main rocks.I do have four Maximas near the bottom, but I'm running four orphek Atlantik's.

Back