Kessil

How to recover bleached torch?

brucieK

Supporting Member
Hi folks, I am trying to recover two bleached torch corals and I'm target feeding them twice a week. Unfortunately I have not observed any improvement. In addition to moving them to a low light area, what else should I do?

I guess I learned the lesson the hard way after I bought a new radion g5 light. Since I was new to the hobby back then, I set the intensity at 80%, bleaching all my corals... The torch each split 2 new heads but the color is no longer there...

Before/After photos attached.

Thanks!

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 134
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 139
Time. Try to keep parameters stable. Amino’s wouldn’t hurt. Dunno about torches. But people say it takes 3 months for sps to adjust. I’ve seen bleached soft corals stay bleached for super long. If your not getting tissues retraction. You should be ok.

Time. Try to keep parameters stable. Amino’s wouldn’t hurt. Dunno about torches. But people say it takes 3 months for sps to adjust. I’ve seen bleached soft corals stay bleached for super long. If your not getting tissues retraction. You should be ok.
Thanks! I guess I will have to be patient.

I haven’t had any success with phycopure/zoox supplements for bleached corals. Like others said, time and good husbandry, feeding helps while they don’t get nutrition from zoox that they lost.

The target feeding is to keep them alive since they aren’t getting energy from photosynthesis now
Thank you for the input! I recently have one head on the bleached torch with brown jelly disease and while taking care of that head some of the brown stuff spread out (because I forgot to turn off the flow...). Should I be concerned? I'm trying to set up a brand new reefer 350. Thanks!

If it’s brown jelly you need to immediately remove any infected areas - others will chime in. Where do you guess the brown jelly came from (wild euphyllia online purchase, LFS or trade with feeder?)

If it’s brown jelly you need to immediately remove any infected areas - others will chime in. Where do you guess the brown jelly came from (wild euphyllia online purchase, LFS or trade with feeder?)
Hi Chromis, I think it's from LFS. The head was not doing well for the past 3 months and had been receding to the point where the polyps were barely visible. I siphoned most of the brown jelly but some of it spread with the flow to the entire system... I have a couple thousands dollars of LPS in this system and I wanted to move them to a new reefer 350 that I'm currently setting up.

Hi Chromis, I think it's from LFS. The head was not doing well for the past 3 months and had been receding to the point where the polyps were barely visible. I siphoned most of the brown jelly but some of it spread with the flow to the entire system... I have a couple thousands dollars of LPS in this system and I wanted to move them to a new reefer 350 that I'm currently setting up.
I would chuck it - chuck the whole thing. Not worth it spreading jelly and wasting your whole collection if the LPS you mentioned are also euphyllias.

Back