Reef nutrition

How to source a tank?

Chrism1330

Supporting Member
I’m looking to buy a new tank probably the same size as my 56g or maybe go bigger by a little bit more. What’s the best way to source tanks im probably not trying to look for something new but if it runs down to that then so be it but I would like to look for something out there first.

I found mine on Facebook market place, just be sure to believe none of what people tell you, or their sad stories. I found some people have no morals and will make up anything and stick to it until someone eventually fall for it. So I would be sure to check out anything used very carefully. I haven't had anything like that happen with club members here. So this is always the place I recommend looking first.

I’m looking to buy a new tank probably the same size as my 56g or maybe go bigger by a little bit more. What’s the best way to source tanks im probably not trying to look for something new but if it runs down to that then so be it but I would like to look for something out there first.
Buy sell trade forum here is the best. But also check in with our LFS partners like because they all have deals on tanks in stock or if they know of clients that are shutting down.

Wasn’t your failed tank used!?
Don’t you want to sleep at night?
Do you own your residence?

Buy a new tank.
One with a warranty....
Call one of our local LFS
I’m sure they will appreciate the business

I do understand the desire to save money
And that a quality aquarium is not an inexpensive investment
But...

Damn sorry to hear about the busted seam. Like mentioned above, facebook, craigslist, and the forums here are your best bet for used tanks. I always use a flashlight to inspect the seams for any signs of bubbles, separation, or signs that someone was too aggressive with an algae scraper.

Innovative Marine and Waterbox seem to be good alternatives to Red Sea. This one is a decent deal and price is obo.You can probably sell the extra equipment that duplicate what you already have to bring the cost down

Do you have a stand and sump and ... you're going to use (such as what your previous tank was using) or are you trying to get another tank setup?

That matters in that matching everything up is easier if you buy a new one and can just find the exact size and setup you need. If you're more flexible, you definitely can find really check deals on here and the previously mentioned places.

I'm still in the camp that believes Red Sea is fine and the issues people see are before there's at many of them. However, my belief in that is wavering with the large amount of seam issues on this forum in the last year or so. Feels like one every couple months, and always Red Sea. That's likely exacerbated by what was mentioned once on here that maybe it's from not great moving in comparison to the way they come new.

There's always a lot of rimmed Petco tanks and Red Sea tanks on resale places.

Do you have a stand and sump and ... you're going to use (such as what your previous tank was using) or are you trying to get another tank setup?

That matters in that matching everything up is easier if you buy a new one and can just find the exact size and setup you need. If you're more flexible, you definitely can find really check deals on here and the previously mentioned places.

I'm still in the camp that believes Red Sea is fine and the issues people see are before there's at many of them. However, my belief in that is wavering with the large amount of seam issues on this forum in the last year or so. Feels like one every couple months, and always Red Sea. That's likely exacerbated by what was mentioned once on here that maybe it's from not great moving in comparison to the way they come new.

There's always a lot of rimmed Petco tanks and Red Sea tanks on resale places.
I have a stand and sum from the Red Sea already but if I can find a package that would be even better.

One option is to get an acrylic tank. If it’s used it might take a little effort to clear it up, but at least you’ll sleep at night!

They fail as well, and you usually can't tell till it does, unlike glass. But still a safer option as they do fail less often.

One of my ex employers lost a 450g in a hotel just a few years ago on Easter Sunday while he was on vacation in Hawaii (he no longer has the account). It was aged, but showed no signs what so ever.
But always water test outside, to be safe
Firsthand experience...

Yup.

Back