Neptune Aquatics

How's the SPS frags doing from the Battle Corals GB?

im not surprised. some online vendors runs about 30ppm no3 and 0.1ppm po4. i used to run low nutrients but i decided to experiment with higher nutrients with higher par and it did help with my sps growth. again, each tank is different so dont take my word for it and its my own experience. currently my tank runs 25ppm no3 and 0.03 - 0.06ppm po4

im not surprised. some online vendors runs about 30ppm no3 and 0.1ppm po4. i used to run low nutrients but i decided to experiment with higher nutrients with higher par and it did help with my sps growth. again, each tank is different so dont take my word for it and its my own experience. currently my tank runs 25ppm no3 and 0.03 - 0.06ppm po4
I guess that's where the balance comes in. Higher par is going to need higher n&p and higher cal/alk to keep up with growth.

I guess I'll chime in here.. My BC pieces are doing well, I had one frag that was DOA after the first day. Adam at BC graciously replaced the piece and all my frags have been doing great. Not too much vertical growth but definitely healthy. As far as nutrients you guys have been posting about lately,, most reefers would have me hung out to dry or question my results. Those of you that know @Thales (Rich Ross) know that he does not care about po4. Since my current tank has been up, I have taken his approach with NO ill effects. The proof is in the pudding. My last weeks nutrient test results. 30-40ppm no3 - 1.8ppm po4 I am NOT advocating whats right or wrong, but there is more than one way to reef. Every tank is different, Don't chase numbers.

Attachments

• 94AD6DB8-BE72-43E3-B01C-876275E49976.jpeg
    94AD6DB8-BE72-43E3-B01C-876275E49976.jpeg
    137.3 KB · Views: 176
I guess I'll chime in here.. My BC pieces are doing well, I had one frag that was DOA after the first day. Adam at BC graciously replaced the piece and all my frags have been doing great. Not too much vertical growth but definitely healthy. As far as nutrients you guys have been posting about lately,, most reefers would have me hung out to dry or question my results. Those of you that know @Thales (Rich Ross) know that he does not care about po4. Since my current tank has been up, I have taken his approach with NO ill effects. The proof is in the pudding. My last weeks nutrient test results. 30-40ppm no3 - 1.8ppm po4 I am NOT advocating whats right or wrong, but there is more than one way to reef. Every tank is different, Don't chase numbers.
For the sake of science, what par range and alk/cal do you run?

Frankly, I have NEVER measured my par because (what i use has been proven for many years) The tank is lit by a 6 bulb T5 fixture that In MY mind is as much as “plug it in & grow” as you can get. I do run a pretty strict regimen though on the rest of the big 3 elements.
My target numbers (that i’m usually close to at all times)
Alk dkh =7.5
Cal. = 450
Mag. = 1350
Also, I do run Rowaphos bi weekly because if i don’t, the tanks po4 can easily jump to >5.0ppm
this i found out the hard way. The tank still powered through this though but, I could tell the corals weren’t happy. I have found the sweet spot to be between 3.5ppm - 1.0ppm po4

Thats wild. Whatever you're doing is working amazingly. Those are tank goals for sure

A post from Adam at Battlecorals from March 2020: "I see par at 400-500 at most of my coral frags and mother colonies some pieces are higher and some lower but 450 is about the average I' d say. I have been paying a little more attention to phos now that I've been adding reef roids though. The last test a couple of days ago was 32 on that Hanna ULR phosphorous green thing"
Thanks for posting this. I also found this on the Battlecorals Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/CKDe9xXgJL9/?igshid=181zohnbhwmdo
Looks like Adam's slowly swapping halides to LED's. Regardless, the PAR readings in the vid are between 400-500par. Just received my frags from him, but they definitely won't be settling anywhere near that PAR range -- hoping they hold their color 'cause they're awesome lookng pieces.
Anyways, I got a Poletti yellow tip freebie. Looks awfully similar to my Miyagi tort. So @dochou (or anyone else interested), if you want give it another try, I'm willing to part with it:
1611820688496.png

Thanks for posting this. I also found this on the Battlecorals Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/CKDe9xXgJL9/?igshid=181zohnbhwmdo
Looks like Adam's slowly swapping halides to LED's. Regardless, the PAR readings in the vid are between 400-500par. Just received my frags from him, but they definitely won't be settling anywhere near that PAR range -- hoping they hold their color 'cause they're awesome lookng pieces.
Anyways, I got a Poletti yellow tip freebie. Looks awfully similar to my Miyagi tort. So @dochou (or anyone else interested), if you want give it another try, I'm willing to part with it:
View attachment 23612
I'd give it a go on the yellow tip...

I also see what you're talking about, @dochou , for the Rainbow's Army. Mine doesn't look like the website pic neither, but I'm not surprised. The green base is reminiscent to the Pearlberry & Hawkins, that should turn more teal with growth tips or higher PAR.
My piece is probably in the 400 PAR region at the moment... So for the most part, I'm pretty close to Adam's setup across the board except for maybe nitrates... He publicly discloses that he bakes his pieces...so I bake mine. ...which is why my pieces are fairly close to his in coloration.

I also see what you're talking about, @dochou , for the Rainbow's Army. Mine doesn't look like the website pic neither, but I'm not surprised. The green base is reminiscent to the Pearlberry & Hawkins, that should turn more teal with growth tips or higher PAR.
I have mine at about 250 PAR and it's green with purple polyps. I think it still need higher par. It's grown and encrusted on to it's current spot so it's a shame to move it.

Wow that's some bright PAR! What kind of lights do you run?
I run 4 xr15pro gen 3 over a rsr350. modified AB+ settings at 100% with 50cwrg (cool white, red, green) and max all blues in the settings. diffusers gave me a lost of about 30% par

Last edited:
I picked out a few and also did a Battlebox, with an emphasis on quality over quantity. Honestly, the ones picked out for me such as the Yars and Pumpkin Pie are good growers, but are very uninteresting to my eye. Not really high end in my opinion, but then again I didn’t expect too much for the price.

The Hot Heaven has potential, but is a slow grower and is going to be a long time until I’m able to frag it for the group.

It was fun, so no complaints.

Back