got ethical husbandry?

I drilled a hole through my wall, what now?

richiev

Supporting Member
I finally bought a longer masonry bit so I could drill through my drywall and stucco to be able to run things outside my house for my display. I currently have a 3/8in hole as a pilot hole, but had a 1 1/4in masonry hole saw I'll use once I confirm I want a bigger hole.

I'm curious what people use an outside setup for. My potential ideas of things to move out
  • RODI reservoir -- I'll certainly do this. I'll start by continuing to use 5gal jugs, but eventually will get a larger one that's secure from bugs and such (and rainproof). If anyone has suggestions lmk.
  • Skimmer air line -- I'll almost certainly do this too, because there's no real downside and it'll be easy.
  • Dosing chemicals -- this kinda makes me nervous, but would clear a bunch of space it of my stand. I think I'd do this and wrap the lines in metal mesh to reduce the chances of animal issues. I'll also need to figure out how I get the reservoirs near the hole to avoid animals that way too. At least 3 tubes
  • Kalk reservoir -- I'm not currently using Kalk on this tank, mostly due to space issues. This would be useful.
  • Auto water change -- would be compelling, and I have most of the parts required. Even more tubes required
  • Electronics generally -- I don't think I want to do this. I'd only be willing to run DC voltage through, would need an electronic box outside, and would need to somehow extend everythings' cables. Lots of cords
  • Sump -- I don't think I'm willing to do this right now. I'd need a lot more and larger holes and though I could then have a giant sump, I don't think I need that
My plan is cut a 1in PVC to act as a channel, and 3d print a little grommet for the ends to make it look less awful. I will shove a bunch of steel wool in it to prevent animals.

Suggestions? Thoughts?

I finally bought a longer masonry bit so I could drill through my drywall and stucco to be able to run things outside my house for my display. I currently have a 3/8in hole as a pilot hole, but had a 1 1/4in masonry hole saw I'll use once I confirm I want a bigger hole.

I'm curious what people use an outside setup for. My potential ideas of things to move out
  • RODI reservoir -- I'll certainly do this. I'll start by continuing to use 5gal jugs, but eventually will get a larger one that's secure from bugs and such (and rainproof). If anyone has suggestions lmk.
  • Skimmer air line -- I'll almost certainly do this too, because there's no real downside and it'll be easy.
  • Dosing chemicals -- this kinda makes me nervous, but would clear a bunch of space it of my stand. I think I'd do this and wrap the lines in metal mesh to reduce the chances of animal issues. I'll also need to figure out how I get the reservoirs near the hole to avoid animals that way too. At least 3 tubes
  • Kalk reservoir -- I'm not currently using Kalk on this tank, mostly due to space issues. This would be useful.
  • Auto water change -- would be compelling, and I have most of the parts required. Even more tubes required
  • Electronics generally -- I don't think I want to do this. I'd only be willing to run DC voltage through, would need an electronic box outside, and would need to somehow extend everythings' cables. Lots of cords
  • Sump -- I don't think I'm willing to do this right now. I'd need a lot more and larger holes and though I could then have a giant sump, I don't think I need that
My plan is cut a 1in PVC to act as a channel, and 3d print a little grommet for the ends to make it look less awful. I will shove a bunch of steel wool in it to prevent animals.

Suggestions? Thoughts?

I’ve never done it, but I’d probably try to find an exterior weatherproof junction box. Then have the lines run to whatever setup you have (e.g., shed, containers, plastic toy box whatever) for the water/chemicals/electronics).

IMG_2910.png

I’ve never done it, but I’d probably try to find an exterior weatherproof junction box. Then have the lines run to whatever setup you have (e.g., shed, containers, plastic toy box whatever) for the water/chemicals/electronics).

View attachment 59201
I was planning on having the outside be just the hole, a little grommet, and let the steel wool be the defense. This however is a far superior idea and I definitely will do this. Grommet on the inside, box on the outside.

The fact that you for your wife to agree to it is a feat in it self. I'm still trying to figure out how to do that myself lol. I was able to get mine to agree to the mini split by saying it was climate control for the baby.

Like mentioned above, I would use the junction box @RandyC posted above for all the electrical. I would probably use a deck box to house stuff for AWC system so it's not unsightly
Screenshot_20240804_115659.jpg

The fact that you for your wife to agree to it is a feat in it self. I'm still trying to figure out how to do that myself lol. I was able to get mine to agree to the mini split by saying it was climate control for the baby.

Like mentioned above, I would use the junction box @RandyC posted above for all the electrical. I would probably use a deck box to house stuff for AWC system so it's not unsightly
View attachment 59214
That's a useful idea and another way to reduce having to deal with rain and dust. Luckily it's on the side of the house that's not visible in any way, so the main consideration is space versus looks. Something like this could be useful on the other side of my house though, both for personal storage but also for moving some stuff from my frag tank outside too.

Current status: expanded the hole, ran 1in PVC though. RO reservoir and pump moved outside. Skimmer air line ran outside. One extra currently unused line also setup. Steel wool pushed in.

I'm currently printing / designing a grommet for the inside to clean it up and hold things in place. After all this I'll clean up the outside and expando foam the edge of it. Inside will just be pressed in place.

Related question: if I move chemical containers outside, is it better for a peristaltic pump to push over a distance or pull over a distance? Distance would be a minimum of 3.5ft, maximum 6. Minimal vertical drop.

Last edited:
I don't think there's a material difference pull vs push ( wasn't going to use suck vs blow) and having the pumps closer to outlets/controller would be better. Under the stand for better monitoring and outside for space/noise.

Current status: expanded the hole, ran 1in PVC though. RO reservoir and pump moved outside. Skimmer air line ran outside. One extra currently unused line also setup. Steel wool pushed in.

I'm currently printing / designing a grommet for the inside to clean it up and hold things in place. After all this I'll clean up the outside and expando foam the edge of it. Inside will just be pressed in place.

Related question: if I move chemical containers outside, is it better for a peristaltic pump to push over a distance or pull over a distance? Distance would be a minimum of 3.5ft, maximum 6. Minimal vertical drop.
Every facility I have worked at pushed. We always had the pump closest to the vessel we were pumping from.

You sure you only want one 1" pvc going through? Might want one for liquid (awc, top off, dosing lines) then one for electrical (power cords, leak sensors, optical sensors, etc).

Last thing you want is to seal it up then wish you had another port after the fact.

You sure you only want one 1" pvc going through? Might want one for liquid (awc, top off, dosing lines) then one for electrical (power cords, leak sensors, optical sensors, etc).

Last thing you want is to seal it up then wish you had another port after the fact.
I thought about it, and I can always drill more any bigger holes, so I'm going to for now leave it. I wasn't paying attention when I grabbed a pipe and a hole saw and I'm actually only at 3/4in, but it'll work for now, and I haven't yet filled the current pipe.

The electrical would take a bigger commitment to the outside setup. Ideally if I went that route I'd need a new outdoor electrical outlet installed too, and I'm hoping to avoid this cascading into another $1000 house project :).

If the exterior hole is exposed to the elements put a garden hose above the wall let it run down over the hole for 5-10 min just to make sure unless you drilled at an downward angle… Can always pop a 90 elbow on the exterior also..I got better results using an air pump outside forcing fresh air to the skimmer.. I had a 10 -15 ft run so air wasn’t flowing the best especially in the winter so added the pump.

Back