Kessil

I want to borrow your pico for a school talk

H2OPlayar

Supporting Member
Hello BAR,

I am giving a STEM talk to Egan jr High on Feb 8th and I thought a cool demo would be bring a little tank full of pods, aiptasia, and soft coral for the kids to look at through the day. I was originally going to do 2 classes which would have worked for a water bottle, but now I am doing 5 classes, so I want a little more "professional" setup.

Does anyone have a dry pico tank with equipment I could borrow? I have all the livestock. I am giving my talk on Feb 8th and will clean all equipment before returning it.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Hello BAR,

I am giving a STEM talk to Egan jr High on Feb 8th and I thought a cool demo would be bring a little tank full of pods, aiptasia, and soft coral for the kids to look at through the day. I was originally going to do 2 classes which would have worked for a water bottle, but now I am doing 5 classes, so I want a little more "professional" setup.

Does anyone have a dry pico tank with equipment I could borrow? I have all the livestock. I am giving my talk on Feb 8th and will clean all equipment before returning it.

Thank you!
I’ve got an empty 10 gal and probably enough odds and ends to make it work…

I got the used IM14 I purchased a few months back sitting in the garage and all of its equipment (and live rock going in a Rubbermaid) - no light for it though

Have a fuval V 5G chillin in the garage if you still need one.

D1048D97-508C-4D35-853B-9F5E8926EA7B.jpeg

Don't warm the heart too much, this is all for selfish reasons. I want more people in the club to trade more corals with and what better way than indoctrinate them to the ways of reefing early? ;)

That 5 gallon looks really professional. Eric also said he has a 2.5 which might be even better (less water for me to carry).

Thank you everyone for jumping so quickly onto this! What a great community!

Last edited:
@fishy408 when and would work to meet up? The tank looks like it has everything, and would be a nice viewing display. I think you've been over here before, and if you want a couple frags, come on by again with the tank for me to borrow :)

Otherwise, we can pm and sync up.

I’m good with frags for now after CFM week, but thanks for the frag offer. I live in Milpitas, swing by when you are free.

Think the tank has everything except a filter pad, I can add one iin before you come pick it up.

Pssssh! If you are in need of picos and nanos to borrow, have you looked at my username? Lmao.

Give me a holler if you still wind up needing something. I have a Fluval V as well plus a variety of other tank sizes, just not AIO.

...if you are up for carefully transporting a full tank, i'd be willing to let you borrow my established 2.5G that houses a pair of baby marine bettas and a rainsford goby. It's a self contained balanced ecosystem for the most part. (No water change, minimal supplemental feeding...bettas eat the pods in there, etc.)

Pic from a while ago...
SmartSelect_20210417-202342_Gallery.jpg

@NanoCrazed I didn't want to make any assumptions about who has what to share :)

That is a sweet setup, and it would be cool to get fish/the whole ecosystem for the kids. Only problem is when I see an established 2.5 that is minimal input like that, I am going to want to try to copy it at home. (When you give a mouse a cookie...When you give a refer a nano...he's gonna want another nano)

@NanoCrazed I didn't want to make any assumptions about who has what to share :)

That is a sweet setup, and it would be cool to get fish/the whole ecosystem for the kids. Only problem is when I see an established 2.5 that is minimal input like that, I am going to want to try to copy it at home. (When you give a mouse a cookie...When you give a refer a nano...he's gonna want another nano)
Then you should get one going of your own! It's not too difficult. Just takes a bit of planning....and comfort with idea of no WC... or infrequent WC.

The real challenge on this setup is transporting it filled... otherwise, it's turnkey. the bettas might be shy for the audience as well.

Anyway -- lemme know how I can help.

I would feel better about using one of your dry pico's with livestock I provide, so in case something happens it is just my stuff that suffers. I got lots of rocks and softies out of my 30 to get some instant pods. Plus my red planaria infestation is extra easy to see. Maybe this forces me to get a baby clown to eat them.

I would feel better about using one of your dry pico's with livestock I provide, so in case something happens it is just my stuff that suffers. I got lots of rocks and softies out of my 30 to get some instant pods. Plus my red planaria infestation is extra easy to see. Maybe this forces me to get a baby clown to eat them.
Sure... can lend you a Fluval 5/EVO complete with lid and light...

Now -- if you wanna go crazy, I have a Fluval Edge 6G as well. Down side is if you need filtration, you'll have to rely on a HOB... Otherwise, it's super clean. Big advantage is that you get a clean unobstructed top down view.

when it was once steup:
1643133233259.png

Back