got ethical husbandry?

ICP- High salinity but low sodium??

ICP test shows

Na (sodium) 11005mg/l ( ideal is 11571mg/l)
Salinity 36.7psu (ideal 35)

I don't think it is too out of whack. Regardless, how do i "fix" this? I assume higher salinity = higher sodium? I'm puzzle

Salinity is drifting a bit higher, so i brought up back down to 35

I agree that doesn’t really make sense. If real results, it would require Ca, Mg, and K to be really high, which you would see in the results. More likely not real results.

I’d confirm the salinity and correct it if needed, and ignore the sodium.

ICP test shows

Na (sodium) 11005mg/l ( ideal is 11571mg/l)
Salinity 36.7psu (ideal 35)

I don't think it is too out of whack. Regardless, how do i "fix" this? I assume higher salinity = higher sodium? I'm puzzle

Salinity is drifting a bit higher, so i brought up back down to 35

Probably different testing methodology has some play in this. ICP is used to measure individual elements, but they probably do some other testing method for salinity (refractometer or something else).

Probably different testing methodology has some play in this. ICP is used to measure individual elements, but they probably do some other testing method for salinity (refractometer or something else).
It's usually a calculated value, I'd ignore it if your method of testing at home is well calibrated.

I have the old fashion TP hydrometer . Very close to the Milwaukee digital salinity tester. Yeah, I think my salinity measurement is more or less correct . Just confirmed it this afternoon .

ICP Ca is a tad high at 520. Salifert showing 460-480. It’s still within 10-% margin. I think it’s good enough.

ICP Mag is 1360. Close of to manual test.

ICP alk is 7.9 . It’s within the range I keep my alk at. 7.8-8.3 depending on the time of the day.

trace element is low across the board.

Basically I think the major parameters are more or less ok.

I just did a 50% water change 2 days in a row just in case. Since my parameters are close to new saltwater, this should not shock the coral I hope.

Back