Reef nutrition

Id ? Some type of sponge idk

MichaelB

Supporting Member
I have two different type of oddities growing in my tank. Both seem isolated and are only in their respective areas.

20240907_085513.jpg
20240907_085521.jpg

1.) The first is under the base of the vivid confetti growing around the frag plug stem. It's soft to the touch almost like its inflated. It's been growing there 4-5 months. It's growing in higher par(250-280)

20240907_085547.jpg

2.) Is some short of white strings like stuff growing under and around the skeleton base of my duncans. Under very low light (40/50 par) it's been there probably 6/7 months I estimate. It's definitely grown but hasn't really spead much.

They both have totally different looks, I would expect by apperance they are different things.

Mostly wanna make sure neither isn't some type of uncommon time bomb I'm not aware of.

Attachments

• 20240907_085547.jpg
    20240907_085547.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 18
Normal. Just sponge hitch hikers. Sometimes they smother corals tho.
Thanks, I'm not overly concerned about them, except for the vivid confetti one, I wanna break off that stem and glue that plug onto a larger plug as it's fully entrusted on the small one, it doesn't seem to be able to grow beyond where the sponge is.

*I'm hoping if it has more room to continue encrusting it may start to send up stalks at some point.

Any recommendations on how to safely get rid of that one?

Yeah from what I can see, it’s a sponge. My lights are off but I have the same ones.

I also have the tendril thing. It got too close to some hammers and irritated them, but they’re easy to just pull off

Yeah from what I can see, it’s a sponge. My lights are off but I have the same ones.

I also have the tendril thing. It got too close to some hammers and irritated them, but they’re easy to just pull off
I don't care as much about the duncans, I just wouldn't want the stuff taking over the tank.

If it was by my hammers lol, fully on panic mode lets drop the nukes.

Are tendril things stretching and retracting?
I never messed with them or gave them an in depth observation. I check later when i get home. They are a small rock i glued duncans to just on the top of the crushed coral. I can't fully respond to your question. So i will look closer and poke them to see if they do anything

Back