Jestersix

Invert ID Please

The other thing too is that with an AIO you have less room for error if your ATO fails off. With extra rock in the back chamber, it displaces more water meaning you have less of a buffer for water as it evaporates, meaning your return pumps could run dry faster.

Having it to seed other tanks is the only reason I’d do it. But you could always put some in for a couple weeks if you plan ahead and be fine. I don’t think you need it. I don’t see why it would help, and it take room you might be able to otherwise utilize. Not a big difference either way

Also, a lot of very successful reefers (and coral farms) run tanks with minimal live rock, none in some cases. I said this in another thread somewhere but Jake Adams thinks all the extra bacteria is unnecessary and all of that respiration puts downward pressure on PH. Think about how bacteria blooms can suck all of the oxygen out of your water - same idea.
I never realized that. I'll be sure to do more research on it. Thank you.
The other thing too is that with an AIO you have less room for error if your ATO fails off. With extra rock in the back chamber, it displaces more water meaning you have less of a buffer for water as it evaporates, meaning your return pumps could run dry faster.
Thank you for that. Makes a lot of sense and I didn't think of that. I'll need some insight from everyone on the AIO chambers and filtration anyway because of exactly what you mentioned, less room for error and I've already had a couple errors since setting it up.
Yeah honestly you have a ton of rock and a ton of sand, definitely won't be short on bacterial habitat.
Gotcha. Well, then I won't be so convinced that I need to add more biomedia. Saving me money! Lol

Back