Our mission

Is it safe to lower nitrate from 80+ to <10 in a day?

newfly

Supporting Member
I'm having a a series of screw-up in the past couple of months. First is the mixed up dosing tube, causing extensive dosing of Nitrate+Phosphase over several months. Caused my tank crashed and maybe 50% coral survived.
Now i realized my Avast Plank setup is messed up and triggering 48x 10s feeding a day. I don't know how it get messed up. I thought i set up for 3 feeding.

Anyhow, my stylo is unhappy and started losing some flesh. Series of water test shows Nitrate is up the roof ( caused by the feeder).

I am in the process of making 40-50 water change. Probably can do twice today. My questions is it is OK to lower the nitrate in such big jump?

Other parameters is close to new saltwater, so i should be fine.

Yes, it is fine to reduce the nitrate this fast, especially with how much is in your water. The water change is the normalization, after the swing of too much food.

I think it's fine to do those water changes. Dropping nitrate only is bad if you drop it to 0 on accident, for example with carbon dosing, but that's unlikely with your method of WC.

Good luck, you'll bounce back from equipment failure and the dosing mishap.

OK. Did 2x 50% WC. I guess i have to just wait and see. I didn't check Nitrate after WC, but based on my calculation, it should be ~20. I'll do the test tomorrow

Back