Kessil

Jawfish selection and care

Marcus H

Supporting Member
I want to add a jawfish to my tank because I could use another bottom dweller and I think they are cool. I have a 2" - 2.5" larger grain sand bed which I think should be sufficient although my rockwork base is on the bottom glass with sand around it.

I don't want a blue spot because I don't think it's right to keep them at standard reef tank temps. I tried a pearly but it didn't work out. He was quite small (maybe 2.5" but it's a skinny fish), tried to make his burrows in the corners of the tank, and never ate. I tried to spot feed him with a pipette but it didn't help. I have bigger and moderately aggressive fish in there but they paid him no mind.

Should I try again? Get a bigger specimen? Try a black cap/tiger? Is something wrong with my setup? I'd like to get a bigger pearly or tiger but I've not seen one around.

I just left AC. They have some good sized Pearly jaw fishes. The one on the far left was about 3-3.5”. They had a total of 6. Also had a Diablo jawfish.

@TMK112 used to have a trio of them in his tank. Was funny to see the male jump back and forth between the female’s burrows.
IMG_4446.jpeg

Thanks I'm going to head over there today. Mostly because I saw they had Cherry/Sakura Anthias on this week's list and want to see one in person.

I got my other small pearly from there, will probably browse around till I find one that I feel really confident about.

Thanks I'm going to head over there today. Mostly because I saw they had Cherry/Sakura Anthias on this week's list and want to see one in person.

I got my other small pearly from there, will probably browse around till I find one that I feel really confident about.
Note that Sakura Anthias are supposedly best kept att 68-72 degrees. If you had concerns about reef temps for the blue dot jawfish you may have similar concerns for the Sakura Anthias.

Back