Jestersix

JOC’s RSR 250 - Fimbriated Moray Eel

wazzupmac

Supporting Member
My son (Josiah) has always tolerated me taking him to any LFS. Once he saw an eel he was hooked. He’s been asking me to have an eel for the last two years. I resisted even after moving and having my old Red Sea Reefer 250 available.

I cycled the tank over the past few weeks, built a PVC labyrinth below the 5” sand bed, and built a rock structure that is eel-friendly.

The Fimbriated Moray Eel at Aquatic Collection caught his attention a few weeks ago. I was hoping it was sold each time we returned but alas it was not. I pulled the trigger today (he doesn’t know yet) and he’ll get to see his new eel when I pick him up from camp tomorrow. Thank goodness he was understanding when I said the Dragon Eel cost too much - $$$

Equipment:
Red Sea Reefer 250
Varios 2 return pump
Reef Octopus Regal 150SSS
Acrylic Lid!!!! - tight fitting - will put weight on feed door!!!
Apex and Trident
2 XR Gen 6 - gotta cut holes in lid or buy hanging kit
2 MP10s for internal flow

I gotta get some long acrylic or stainless steel tongs. Josiah is responsible for feeding!

The tank will end up housing some anemones- might go exotic slowly, zoas, and a Japanese Weeping Willow if I can find one.

I’ll slowly add some smaller fish (grow out for the S-850) but not too small so they don’t turn into sushi! I gotta buy snails (cuc) to keep the substrate turned and cleaned and help with the glass.

Anything, that I’m not thinking of?

Attachments

• IMG_4760.jpeg
    IMG_4760.jpeg
    89 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_4759.jpeg
    IMG_4759.jpeg
    117.1 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_4758.jpeg
    IMG_4758.jpeg
    81.4 KB · Views: 62
I would definitely consider a cover, they are escape artist. I had one many years ago. Things were great until some random day 2 years after having it, found it on the floor. Any size opening for then is too big. Even ensure your filtration is covered they can also get into it.

I feel like a proud Poppa all over again. The eel hadn’t eaten in almost 1 week but had been active the last 2 nights. I went out and got some fresh shrimp from the local market - thawed at room temperature - chopped it up. Frozen krill didn’t seem to work.

I keep the tank under red lights at night so we can observe him without disturbing him.

He eat the equivalent of a whole medium sized shrimp and then retreated for a rest and I couldn’t resist trying to get a picture to send to my son….

Attachments

• IMG_4811.jpeg
    IMG_4811.jpeg
    58.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4810.jpeg
    IMG_4810.jpeg
    66.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4809.jpeg
    IMG_4809.jpeg
    30.9 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 31
I feel like a proud Poppa all over again. The eel hadn’t eaten in almost 1 week but had been active the last 2 nights. I went out and got some fresh shrimp from the local market - thawed at room temperature - chopped it up. Frozen krill didn’t seem to work.

I keep the tank under red lights at night so we can observe him without disturbing him.

He eat the equivalent of a whole medium sized shrimp and then retreated for a rest and I couldn’t resist trying to get a picture to send to my son….
Awesome, do you feed him at night? I never did when I had mine - I didn't want to risk equating lights out as feeding time, with other fish in the tank making easy sleeping targets. I feed mine same time period as I feed other fish.

How big is the guy?

Looks to be around 12-14”

Feeding is at night under the red lights - there won’t really be fish in the tank. The Chromis was for the biofilter and will start adding some coral. I can’t be around to feed her by day (autofeeder) will do that for the 4 fish in tank and she’ll get served just before bedtime for the kids.

I’ll refer to the eel as her because all the research I could gather seems they start out as female until mature. They can get upto 30” but most don’t break 20” in captivity.

Back