got ethical husbandry?

Joe's Reef Journey

My reef aquarium is experiencing a tank crash, but I'm not sure what's causing it. When I came home after three days, my huge toadstool coral was shedding a lot, and the zoanthids have been closed for about a week. The snails seem very stressed and are upside down, and all of the corals are slowly dying. The fish, however, are doing just fine. The only clue I have is that the PO4 level is zero. My best guess is that there may have been some kind of chemical contamination, possibly from a pecticide I use.

Last edited:
My reef aquarium is experiencing a tank crash, but I'm not sure what's causing it. When I came home after three days, my huge toadstool coral was shedding like crazy, and the zoanthids have been closed for about a week. The snails seem very stressed and are upside down, and all of the corals are slowly dying. The fish, however, are doing just fine. The only clue I have is that the PO4 level is zero. My best guess is that there may have been some kind of chemical contamination, possibly from a pecticide I use.
In the past when your toadstool shed did it cause any problems for the tank? Or you think it was shedding due to some other stressor…?

I changed 90% of the water twice, but all the corals and invertebrates were still dying. I moved some of the damaged corals to my son's 10-gallon tank, and they seemed to be bouncing back. However, as soon as I did a water change in his tank, all the corals and invertebrates started dying again. So I bought a different salt mix and did a 90% water change, but there was no improvement. Now I have lost most of my corals and invertebrates. The only possible cause is the polluted RODI water (TDS readS 2-3). I recently changed all the filters and membrane. Yesterday I changed 90% of the water in my son's tanks using saltwater from Neptune Aquatics, and the corals are already looking better. I will be doing ICP testing.

I changed 90% of the water twice, but all the corals and invertebrates were still dying. I moved some of the damaged corals to my son's 10-gallon tank, and they seemed to be bouncing back. However, as soon as I did a water change in his tank, all the corals and invertebrates started dying again. So I bought a different salt mix and did a 90% water change, but there was no improvement. Now I have lost most of my corals and invertebrates. The only possible cause is the polluted RODI water (TDS readS 2-3). I recently changed all the filters and membrane. Yesterday I changed 90% of the water in my son's tanks using saltwater from Neptune Aquatics, and the corals are already looking better. I will be doing ICP testing.
Sorry to hear!

I was talking to one of the reps from this company at RAP and he mentioned how they have separate freshwater and salt water tests since not having the huge amount of Na and Cl ions made it easier to detect some elements at lower levels. https://www.icp-analysis.com/pages/about-icp-for-home-water

I've got one on hand if you can't find one locally too.

I added first dose of Cipro yesterday, and all the zoa colonies that have been closed for more than a month are already looking better. I have a feeling that the ICP test results will be normal. Fingers crossed!

I received the ICP test result, and it revealed a high level of tin in my tank. The ICP testing was done after performing two 80–90% water changes, and the tin level remains very high.
I have decided to replace all the pumps, including those in the water changing bin.

I watched a video that shared a story similar to what I have experienced in my tank. While the fish seem unaffected, the snails have been dying faster than the corals.
"Tin Crashed My Reef Tank! How I fixed it."

1686435498691.png

Last edited:
I've checked the magnet cleaner, and it appears to be fine, but I believe it would be a good idea to replace it nonetheless.
Yeah it's weird, your tin was fine in January then spiked now. Any of the impellers look cracked? Or did you do any pump maintenance/acid soaks since then? RODI prefilter still clean?

Rules out any rusty nail in the rock or anything either since you don't have sand. Are you still running the canister filter? Wondering if maybe there's a new lot of GFO or something in there. Just brainstorming here.

Yeah it's weird, your tin was fine in January then spiked now. Any of the impellers look cracked? Or did you do any pump maintenance/acid soaks since then? RODI prefilter still clean?

Rules out any rusty nail in the rock or anything either since you don't have sand. Are you still running the canister filter? Wondering if maybe there's a new lot of GFO or something in there. Just brainstorming here.
Thanks for the suggestions! One thing I'm suspecting is the MP10 I recently bought (used). When I got it, the wet side was rattling. So, yesterday I decided to take it apart and give it a thorough inspection, but it seems to be alright. However, I think I'll still go ahead and replace it.

Thanks for the suggestions! One thing I'm suspecting is the MP10 I recently bought (used). When I got it, the wet side was rattling. So, yesterday I decided to take it apart and give it a thorough inspection, but it seems to be alright. However, I think I'll still go ahead and replace it.
If you need one ASAP, Robert carries them at Neptune and they're pretty equivalent to online prices.

Back