got ethical husbandry?

Kole tang nervous - getting other fish?

IOnceWasLegend

Frag Swap Coordinator
BOD
So my kole tang is happy and healthy, active and eating well... When he's by himself. If I creep on him from around the corner he's having a grand old time, but he's super skittish when he notices me watching him.

I've had him about three or four weeks now with zero behavioral changes. Is this normal/common? I've also heard from a couple people that having schooling fish in the tank can help him not be so shy, but not sure how true that is.

I had the Same issue until I added other fish including a yellow tang to the tank. now he’s a completely different fish and is always out

Hmmmm. I've got a six line in there as well and the kole seems to get along with him, but I guess one friend might not be enough. Any suggestions? He's in a 4x2' 50g; I was thinking of maybe a few chromis but seeing what else I might be able to add.

My trigger fish does the same. Until he realizes that food might be involved.

Yeah; I've taken to feeding him and then sitting by the tank while the cube dissolves to try and get him to start associating me with food. So far little luck - he'll dart out to get a few bites, then go right back.

PXL_20201116_001136514.jpg

I had the Same issue until I added other fish including a yellow tang to the tank. now he’s a completely different fish and is always out

Mind me asking what other fish you added? I'm considering trying to add some chromis to the tank, but don't know if they'd be stressed given how little rockwork/zero SPS there is in the frag tank.

In my experience, some Tang specimens are more skittish than others. My Blue Hippo is skittish to this day and I've had him for 12+ years. Personally, I wouldn't be too concerned.

Hanging around the tank after feeding is a good idea. Mine used to follow me or the algae scraper around. Since the move they became skittish, maybe due to all the alone time. Now they alter between “Ooh, FOOD GUY!” and “He’s moving, RUN!”. Almost like their stomach is commanding them closer as their eyes command them back because it is only seconds between the two. They are getting over it though as I spend time around the tank.

A few mid water fish may help. If someone else is out and not getting eaten then their odds are better.

Hanging around the tank after feeding is a good idea. Mine used to follow me or the algae scraper around. Since the move they became skittish, maybe due to all the alone time. Now they alter between “Ooh, FOOD GUY!” and “He’s moving, RUN!”. Almost like their stomach is commanding them closer as their eyes command them back because it is only seconds between the two. They are getting over it though as I spend time around the tank.

A few mid water fish may help. If someone else is out and not getting eaten then their odds are better.

Thanks! Any suggestions for mid-water fish that would do well in a frag tank with comparatively little rockwork?

Molly (converted to salt). They are so dumb and willing to swim anywhere they can help others feel more comfortable and the best part is they eat algae. Not a very beautiful fish as far as they go but a tireless cleaner.

+1 on converted mollies, so long as you don't have nems (they will pick at *anything*, at least mine did).
A chromis would stay out, at least mine almost always does. Don't get 2 or you'll end up with 1.
A clown might do it, mine were always been pretty fearless.

Would the chromis need more rockwork than what I have, though? For some reason I was under the impression that they would be stressed without much rockwork/sps to congregate around.

And regarding don't get 2...yeah; I had a friend of mine mention that if we wanted 1, get 1; if we wanted 3, get 5, because they whittle each other down.

Edit: I've also considered a clownfish, but might be a bit gunshy on that considering that 'fearless' is a bonus...but my clownfish in the DT upstairs is ridiculously aggressive and I'd rather not get bit every time I reach my hand into the frag tank, haha.

Last edited:
There are two types of clownfish. A**hole clownfish and puppy dog clownfish. I’m sure there’s more to it, but it’s luck of the draw as far as I can tell, with most falling into the latter category. If your are aggressive swap them out, but I think your odds are decent. Unless you have a school those 5 chromosomes will still end up as 1, it just takes longer. When I had a bigger tank and a couple dozen it didn’t seem to be an issue. Once I pared down tank size and only had 10 or so it was less than 2 years to just one.
I’ve seen old large ones in low rock work tanks, so I think you would be ok, but am curious what others have to say.

If you’re going to add a fish, I would recommend a utilitarian fish like a yellow coris wrasse. You would have to give it a little bowl of sand. Clowns don’t do any work, but they’re hardy.

Back