got ethical husbandry?

Large 3D scanning and printing?

Angry Andy

Supporting Member
Wondering here if anybody knows of a place that can 3D scan a metal cover plate for a street light pole.

We had some made out of cast iron but we have used them all up, and we don't know where they were purchased from...well we do but this 'middleman' is out of business and we don't know where he sourced them from.

Size is about 18" wide by 6" deep by 16" tall.

First place I checked wants $2500 minimum for the scan alone.

I figure instead of making them out of cast iron it would be easier in the future to 3D print them....it's just a cover plate to access the wiring inside a street light pole.

A 3D printer that can do 30"x30"x36" will cost about $2500 so thats not too bad, considering a cast iron mold will probably run 10k for the tooling and then who knows how much for a minimum of 50 or 100 pieces.

thanks for any leads!

When I worked in the auto industry the company I worked for specialized in import body kits and manufactured most products from fiberglass or carbon fiber. Not sure if it would fit your application, but making a fiberglass mold is significantly more cost effective and units produced would run a fraction of that.

I haven't been in the industry for a while.now, but if its something that would.help I could make some calls to connect you with someone.

Thanks for the reply....never thought of that.

Attached is a picture of the smaller size cover plate....its not solid its only about 1/2" thick. And I could care less about the decorative elements I just want the basic shape.

The larger more common one we use is only 2-3" wider and 1-2" taller.

Attachments

• -3454679516325285411.jpg
    -3454679516325285411.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 39
I have no direct hands on knowledge, but I thought the phone based 3d scanning apps were getting surprisingly good. You might be able to do that part yourself, or at least try it, using someone's existing phone.

Some apps use lidar on phones like iPhones. Some apps use the camera alone. Some probably do both.

Do you have 3d printing experience?

Back