Our mission

Large tanks and floor supports

Blaise006

Supporting Member
Hi all,
Planning on installing a 240 gallon aquarium. The below is a lay out of the room the tank will go in.

I estimate the tank will weigh about 2,500 lbs

I believe the joists run about 12 ft.
The picture of one of the joist is below .

Apologies for the crude picture. Should I throw some pier blocks with supports in the basement? Or other suggestions for supporting the tank

Let me know what other info might be needed.
B67A984B-024E-4393-9300-21F31FFCF314.jpeg
6FB06BF1-E16A-4ECF-A6B8-71126891E13B.jpeg

So the back wall supports the joists correct? I would support the the joists at the front of the tank with a 4x8 or 4x10 perpendicular and three screw jacks like the following.

You’re probably ok since you have several joists under the tank and a load bearing wall behind it, but supporting the joists at the front of the tank if it’s easy enough to do would be a good idea like Ian said.

You’re probably ok since you have several joists under the tank and a load bearing wall behind it, but supporting the joists at the front of the tank if it’s easy enough to do would be a good idea like Ian said.
I'm with you on this one. I think you are good to go how it stands, especially considering what has been on the opposite wall for the last 7 years.

I'm with you on this one. I think you are good to go how it stands, especially considering what has been on the opposite wall for the last 7 years.
Agreed, but i checked the specs on that safe and the internet said it only weighed 550lbs.

Plus the floors are already uneven a bit in a few other areas so I think I’m going to go with your original idea and Iani. Throw some pier blocks under there with supports and a screw jack.

I also considered just throwing up a couple more sister joists instead of the pier block, but I’m not sure what the span is 100% yet. That will have to wait till I get back in the basement.

Back