Cali Kid Corals

Live Brine Shrimp storing

sp2013

Supporting Member
When you get a bag of adult size live brine shrimp from LFS, how do you store them? I don't want to go to LFS every few days. I tried adding an airline + feeding them with phyto in a gallon of water, but I can see that they also die pretty fast too. Maybe ammonia spike?

I used to put them on a large salad bowl ( with a lot of surface area) in the fridge. Can’t remember how long they last, but easily 3-4 days if not more. Don’t buy live brine anymore

When you get a bag of adult size live brine shrimp from LFS, how do you store them? I don't want to go to LFS every few days. I tried adding an airline + feeding them with phyto in a gallon of water, but I can see that they also die pretty fast too. Maybe ammonia spike?
What are you trying to do with them?
It’s the newly hatched shrimp that are of nutritional benefit-adults not so much.

Reef nutrition has a product called..
rgcomplete -which is phytoplankton & ammonia neutralizer. Might help?

I decided not to go that route given the labor involved!

Baby brine shrimp is too small for the livestock (seahorse) I am feeding and it basically ignore it.

Other live food I tried is copepods. I created a tigger pod culture. It is pretty easy. I am trying adult brine shrimp, because it is pretty cheap in LFS.
I am thinking of Amphipods culture next. Amphipods is currently too hard to find in LFS and I don't want to pay for $30+ shipping. Let me know if you know anyone has them. I just need a few to start.

Baby brine shrimp is too small for the livestock (seahorse) I am feeding and it basically ignore it.

Other live food I tried is copepods. I created a tigger pod culture. It is pretty easy. I am trying adult brine shrimp, because it is pretty cheap in LFS.
I am thinking of Amphipods culture next. Amphipods is currently too hard to find in LFS and I don't want to pay for $30+ shipping. Let me know if you know anyone has them. I just need a few to start.
I have the fattest amphipods ever. I've found them 1cm long. It's terrible to pick up a frag and have things wriggle onto your hand lol

If you need them, I don't know how I would collect them but I can get you some?

I have the fattest amphipods ever. I've found them 1cm long. It's terrible to pick up a frag and have things wriggle onto your hand lol

If you need them, I don't know how I would collect them but I can get you some?
I heard these method from other people but haven't tried it myself since I don't have any. When you need to take out any rocks from tank, shake them out in another bucket to collect them. Another one is that when you need to dip your own coral, they will come out and still alive.

I would want them all if you found any. ;)

The problem is I find them everywhere and i dump them back as rapidly as possible - there's no place to really hold/collect them to get a large number, or to store for transport. If there's a way though I'm not opposed haha

I have one of those 3d printed pod hotels in my sump. I used to collect amphipods for my wrasses and seed my seahorse tank by removing the hotel, blast water into all the holes in a container, and tons of amphipods would come out.

Back