Neptune Aquatics

Looking for ideas - stand finishing options

Fire_Reefer

Supporting Member
Hello all,

I'm wondering if anyone has built a construction grade lumber stand and then finished it to make it look like furniture.

Some ideas I've come across for "skinning" it:
-plywood
-mdf
-melamine
-Acrylic sheeting

Does anyone else have any ideas or suggestions? I'm really looking for a clean manufactured look for the finished product.

Here's a look at the stand and now it's current setup.
1000001135.jpg

1000001284.jpg

Thanks!

For any of those options, you'll only get the professional look if you do a good job finishing the surface and fit the panels precisely. Nothing matters if there's panel gaps, uneven misalignment, or if you can see paint imperfection marks everywhere.

Do you want painted solid color or show wood grain?
Do you want removeable panels on all sides? just the front? Or doors on hinges?
Flat panels or furniture style like shaker doors?

My experience in planning a custom stand out is if you really really do want furniture grade look, you're liable to end up spending as much money as just buying a premade stand. Particularly because nice looking doors are so expensive, but also plywood and other nice finishing wood is expensive.

Towards options, I found ikea has a bunch of door options that if they fit can look nice and are probably the lowest cost option for a professional one.

For any of those options, you'll only get the professional look if you do a good job finishing the surface and fit the panels precisely. Nothing matters if there's panel gaps, uneven misalignment, or if you can see paint imperfection marks everywhere.

Do you want painted solid color or show wood grain?
Do you want removeable panels on all sides? just the front? Or doors on hinges?
Flat panels or furniture style like shaker doors?

Looking for a nice black finish. Modern looking cabinet.

I'm leaning towards 1/2" Sande plywood. Edge banding. Painting it black.

Probably doors on the front and one end.

I like this look

1000001524.jpg

Just not sure how to achieve it...

My experience in planning a custom stand out is if you really really do want furniture grade look, you're liable to end up spending as much money as just buying a premade stand. Particularly because nice looking doors are so expensive, but also plywood and other nice finishing wood is expensive.

Towards options, I found ikea has a bunch of door options that if they fit can look nice and are probably the lowest cost option for a professional one.

Yeah that's my problem. I'm trying to do it in a cheaper manner. But a sheet of nice plywood is like $80. Probably need at least 2 sheets for my stand.

Looking for a nice black finish. Modern looking cabinet.

I'm leaning towards 1/2" Sande plywood. Edge banding. Painting it black.

Probably doors on the front and one end.

Sande plywood with edge banding would work to create a solid panel. Just sand it well, get a good layer of primer and good quality paint. Ideally done with a sprayer. I used the same for mine except it was 3/4" since it was supporting the tank.

20190926_235522.jpg
20201010_140829.jpg

If you're going for the red sea look with the door fully overlaying the front, it might be hard to install a door with concealed hinges because your side frames are really wide. Unless there's some kind of specialty hinge for that, you might have to add a face frame and have doors inset there that are the size of your openings. A fully removable door, not on hinges, is also an option.

1720644439913.png

Last edited:
Sande plywood with edge banding would work to create a solid panel. Just sand it well, get a good layer of primer and good quality paint. Ideally done with a sprayer. I used the same for mine except it was 3/4" since it was supporting the tank.

View attachment 58396View attachment 58398

If you're going for the red sea look with the door fully overlaying the front, it might be hard to install a door with concealed hinges because your side frames are really wide. Unless there's some kind of specialty hinge for that, you might have to add a face frame and have doors inset there that are the size of your openings. A fully removable door, not on hinges, is also an option.

View attachment 58395

That looks great too!

And yeah I was thinking that it'd be hard/impossible to do the doors like that because of the 2x4s.

I have been thinking about magnets. I'm glad to hear that other people have used them successfully.

From the pic you posted, I'd suggest making the stand look like an extension of that wall. Just clad the stand with plywood, finish it, and add the same bottom and top trim as the ones you currently have on that wall. Whatever you do, just stay away from MDF.

Back