Reef nutrition

Popper's IM200ext

It's all marketing. What sounds better:

Innovative Marine 200EXT or 168G EXT
Red Sea Reefer S-1000 or S-264G
Waterbox Infinia 230.6 or Infinia 167G.6
FWIW Red Sea is exceptionally honest about it. Take for instance the Reefer 500:
  • display size: 125cm x 60cm x 60cm, which would be 450L / 118.9gal
  • listed display volume: 398L / 105gal (note this is lower than the bad math fake number would entail. I assume that discrepancy is because they're measuring actual water volume after accounting for overflow height and internal dimensions)
  • listed sump volume: 102L / 27gal
If you look at the measurements, and notice they're based in a non-US, it's clear they're doing metric based sizing. Reefer 500 = 398L + 102L = 500L. It's actually advertised completely accurately.

FWIW Red Sea is exceptionally honest about it. Take for instance the Reefer 500:
  • display size: 125cm x 60cm x 60cm, which would be 450L / 118.9gal
  • listed display volume: 398L / 105gal (note this is lower than the bad math fake number would entail. I assume that discrepancy is because they're measuring actual water volume after accounting for overflow height and internal dimensions)
  • listed sump volume: 102L / 27gal
If you look at the measurements, and notice they're based in a non-US, it's clear they're doing metric based sizing. Reefer 500 = 398L + 102L = 500L. It's actually advertised completely accurately.

Agreed, Red Sea does a good job of listing the specs, but for advertising purposes they chose Reefer 500L vs Reefer 132G. As a consumer we gravitate to the higher number to get more bang for our buck.

Agreed, Red Sea does a good job of listing the specs, but for advertising purposes they chose Reefer 500L vs Reefer 132G. As a consumer we gravitate to the higher number to get more bang for our buck.
I'm sure that's part of it, but Red Sea the company is based in Tel Aviv, Israel. It'd be weird for them to be basing their product line (which is sold internationally) on gallons versus Liters. We in the US are the gallon weirdos.

I think everybody is misunderstanding my point on actual water capacity vs description\marketing.

Screenshot 2023-06-30 at 1.24.06 PM.png

It definitely does not hold approximately 200 gallons. This is deceiving and a good lawyer would make $$$

To see if two skimmers reduce the algae on glass panels, they don't. I ran 2 rsk600 for 3 weeks. skimmers skim gunk, but algae slime still on glass.

Last edited:
Thanks to @H2OPlayar @L/B Block for suggesting tuxedo urchin.
Picked up 4 from generous @archibaldsharper. Thank you and just when I was looking to add to the tank. They're roaming ok rocks and glass.

Thank you @Darkxerox and @Invictus recommendations for reflectors. I rigged up some last minute high tech shields

Thanks to @JVU for the light glass bounce info.
View attachment 48551View attachment 48552View attachment 48553

What lights do you have? I can print you some reflectors.

Added a Coralife Turbotwist 12x 36W UV sterilizer yesterday 2/21/24. WOW what a difference. water is crystal clear and I don't have to scrub the glass.

Added two ap9x and a small IM media reactor in the fuge area.

The torches are loving it. New zoas are melting. Existing zoas are fine.

I dipped new zoas in Bayer. The next one I'll dip with Relive.

20240325_095610.jpg
20240325_095106.jpg

Last edited:
4" pbt fattest fish in tank got ich. Able to trap her and currently in 50g qt tank going through copper treatment.

Shes still eating.

The rabbit fish got really skinny even though he eats a lot. Passed away today in hospital tank. Dang only had him for 2 months. Love the maze pattern on his body.

Transferred 3 blue eye anthias (1 male, 2 female) to dt after 1 month in qt.

20240411_205331.jpg

Gave away a bunch of waving hand anthelia from @Adauqua and introduced the takers to BAR. Some signed up.

4" pbt fattest fish in tank got ich. Able to trap her and currently in 50g qt tank going through copper treatment.

Shes still eating.

The rabbit fish got really skinny even though he eats a lot. Passed away today in hospital tank. Dang only had him for 2 months. Love the maze pattern on his body.

Transferred 3 blue eye anthias (1 male, 2 female) to dt after 1 month in qt.

View attachment 54871

Gave away a bunch of waving hand anthelia from @Adauqua and introduced the takers to BAR. Some signed up.
How are you going to get the tank ich free? Seems like you went through QT with these anthias just to put them back into a place with tomonts etc.

Back