Kessil

More small clams in! Maxima, deresa, and crocea.

They are aqua cultured.

Attachments

• 20240910_133333 (1).jpg
    20240910_133333 (1).jpg
    90 KB · Views: 65
  • 20240910_133437.jpg
    20240910_133437.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 68
Now I want a second clam…

First clam from CWA is doing great, big growth rim and it grew a new set of scutes :)

Check for pyramid snails, always, regardless of source, freshwater dip + heavy basting knocked them off and clam opened immediately after the dip.

Pic from a week ago

IMG_5885.jpeg

And yesterday after algae scraping, when it closed partially, you can see its new growth

IMG_6013.jpeg

Last edited:
Got it in at 1.25 inch. Placed at 200 par, medium flow. At the time I was broadcasting Reef Roids to raise phosphates but I don’t really know if that did anything

Now I want a second clam…

First clam from CWA is doing great, big growth rim and it grew a new set of scutes :)

Check for pyramid snails, always, regardless of source, freshwater dip + heavy basting knocked them off and clam opened immediately after the dip.

Pic from a week ago

View attachment 60229

And yesterday after algae scraping, when it closed partially, you can see its new growth

View attachment 60230
Crazy contrast in them colors !!!!

Be sure to buffer the pH in any future freshwater dips, RODI water is usually close to 7.0 since it has zero buffering capacity.
I thought RO water was typically acidic in the 5.5-6 range? With other variables that can bring up the pH to 7.

Thanks for the book suggestion. Will definitely be looking to add that one. I've been enjoying my clam quite a bit.

I thought RO water was typically acidic in the 5.5-6 range? With other variables that can bring up the pH to 7.

Thanks for the book suggestion. Will definitely be looking to add that one. I've been enjoying my clam quite a bit.

It typically is between 5-6 because of atmospheric CO2. It could be 7 if it was just made and a measurement was taken rather quickly or made/stored in a vacuum without exposure to CO2. ;)

Last edited:
It typically is between 5-6 because of atmospheric CO2. It could be 7 if it was just made and a measurement was taken rather quickly or made/stored in a vacuum with exposure to CO2. ;)
That's true, it depends on the purity and how clean the container is too. I wonder how long it takes for the shell to melt and buffer the solution lol

Back