got ethical husbandry?

Mushroom cage with a bunch of orange discosomas

Here's what they looked like before being removed. Orange in the middle.

1000008801.jpg

I won't be at CFM. Pickup in Redwood City. Timing can be very flexible because I can leave them in a cooler.

I’d be interested if you have some still :^)
PM me please. Let me know pickup date and time preference.

Even if I give out all I have now, I can get more. I'm going to have to clear out a couple more rocks sometime this week.

Not required, but if anyone has coral rubble I could use a bit more so I can keep filling cages.

List:
Tentatively coordinating having a series of cages of them available for pickup at my place Friday from a cooler. I have enough for all of you in my tank, I printed a bunch of cages, but I'll have to re-count how many I have prepared for giving out right now. I'm not sure exactly how many cages I filled up with rubble + shrooms and might have to grab some more, and would by default try and let them chill in my tank for a day or so before giving out (but your call).

I'll confirm over direct messages/chat.

Also I guess while I'm noting, I also have a couple green tipped, big, shrooms that I can try and get into the cage if people want those: https://barcode.bareefers.org/bc/frag/1873

Possibly also some of these orange crush / orange on green&blue Yumas (https://barcode.bareefers.org/bc/frag/1753 https://barcode.bareefers.org/bc/frag/1874). I think those both are actually the same kind, but different chains. They're harder for me to get at right now, but I think I have at least one in one of the cages with the discosomas.

Last edited:
Gave out two yesterday. I have one more cage with a ton of them available, but it's currently in my frag tank which I have fought nudis in. I highly doubt there's nudis in that cage with shrooms, particularly because I gave it a strong peroxide dip yesterday, but always impossible to make any guarantees.

If others are still interested, lmk. That one I can give out at any time, and again it has a ton. I'll also pull some more from my display, maybe today, and load up at least one or two more cages. The ones I've given out and next ones will are kept in my display sump, and that display has had no issues with anything (all things QT'ed).

Gave out two yesterday. I have one more cage with a ton of them available, but it's currently in my frag tank which I have fought nudis in. I highly doubt there's nudis in that cage with shrooms, particularly because I gave it a strong peroxide dip yesterday, but always impossible to make any guarantees.

If others are still interested, lmk. That one I can give out at any time, and again it has a ton. I'll also pull some more from my display, maybe today, and load up at least one or two more cages. The ones I've given out and next ones will are kept in my display sump, and that display has had no issues with anything (all things QT'ed).

Maybe short notice but at this present moment I'm in san mateo for a bd party.

Will shoot you a pm.

I have to deliver a frag to tribbitt already at cfm so If your possibly free today I could possibly grab a frag or two from you. One for him if you extra I wouldn't mind one to grow out for dbtc.

20240818_175405.jpg

@tribbitt

I thought about starting a dbtc with a few of these, but remembered I already have two-3 other types growing out for that purpose.

So these are all yours. I didn't count them but has to be at least around 10 at a glance. I'll plan to bring them to cfm with toadstool unless we meet up for some reason before than.

Thanks @richiev for spreading these around.

@richiev Is it worth dipping these? If you have no pests I trust your word enough to give it a swish in some water and plop it in, otherwise might spend some time with Revive - idk how to dip mushrooms properly

I dip everything I get, especially when I get it from folks in the club. Assume everyone's tank is full of tank STDs, especially given how much people transfer between each other.

That being said, I did a pretty strong peroxide dip on them for awhile Friday. That frag tank the cage was temporarily in is my tank that has had Monti eating nudis, but generally that's under control. Again though, trust no one, dip everything.

I personally dip softies in peroxide. I dump saltwater in a container, add the frag, add enough peroxide&stir& wait a second, repeat until I see the algae or other things starting to bubble. Then I let it sit a handful of minutes (usually 5ish).

After a quick rinse it's good to go straight into the tank, because you can technically dose peroxide into the tank too.

(All the other ones I handed out were kept in my display's sump; I didn't have room for that cage)
(Edit #2: both times I've gotten monti eating nudis in my tanks [prev display, frag tank] they came from frags I got from the club)

Will do. No MEN eggs will ever be on softies I assume? They typically lay eggs at base of the monti itself, and there is 0% chance they laid elsewhere?

Would not be on softies, always possible they hang out on any hard surface. If they would actually put an egg on a surface 2feet away from any monti I have no idea. There's never a 0% chance of anything.

Monti eating nudi egg info per ChatGPT:

Do montipora eating nudibranches only lay eggs on or right near montipora?

Yes, Montipora-eating nudibranchs generally lay their eggs exclusively on or very close to Montipora corals. These nudibranchs are highly specialized predators, and their life cycle is closely tied to Montipora species. The eggs are typically laid on the underside or in crevices of the Montipora coral, where they are less visible and better protected. This close proximity ensures that when the eggs hatch, the larvae have immediate access to their food source, which is crucial for their survival.

Would the eggs survive a diluted hydrogen peroxide dip?

A diluted hydrogen peroxide dip is often effective at killing Montipora-eating nudibranchs, but it may not completely eradicate their eggs. The eggs of these nudibranchs are usually more resilient than the adults, as they are encased in a protective layer that can shield them from chemical treatments.

While a hydrogen peroxide dip can help reduce the number of eggs, it may not eliminate all of them. For more thorough treatment, it's often recommended to use a combination of methods, such as manual removal, repeated dips, and quarantining the affected coral to monitor and treat any new hatchlings that might emerge after the initial dip. Additionally, some hobbyists also use specialized dips designed for coral pests that might have a better efficacy against the eggs.

What's the odds there would be any live MENs or eggs on a piece of rock kept at least a foot away from any montipora, and then dipping that rock in diluted peroxide for 5 minutes.

The odds of live Montipora-eating nudibranchs (MENs) or their eggs being on a piece of rock kept at least a foot away from any Montipora are relatively low but not zero. Here’s why:

1. **Distance from Montipora**: MENs are highly specialized for Montipora, and they tend to stay close to their food source. Being a foot away from Montipora significantly reduces the likelihood of nudibranchs or their eggs being on the rock, but it doesn’t completely eliminate the possibility. Nudibranchs can move, albeit slowly, and may explore the surrounding area if the Montipora colony is nearby.

2. **Hydrogen Peroxide Dip**: Dipping the rock in diluted hydrogen peroxide for 5 minutes is likely to kill any adult nudibranchs and potentially some of the eggs. However, as mentioned earlier, the eggs are more resilient and might survive the dip, depending on the concentration of the peroxide solution.

**Risk assessment**:
- **Low**: The likelihood of live MENs or eggs on the rock is low, especially if the rock was kept away from Montipora.
- **Medium**: If the hydrogen peroxide dip is sufficiently strong (typically around 3% hydrogen peroxide diluted to about 1:10 with water), it should effectively reduce the risk further, though there’s a small chance that some eggs might survive.

To minimize the risk entirely, you might want to consider additional methods, such as a more prolonged quarantine period, regular inspections, and multiple dips.

Back