Neptune Aquatics

Mushroom doesn’t look happy

Chrism1330

Supporting Member
I Just bought a Superman disco from Arvin the other day I put the superman in my 56g along with the new torches I bought from AC from there Father’s Day sale. I also bought a tequila sunrise from Arvin but I put that one in my 8g because I know my tank water is great and thriving. Both corals are healthy but I wanted to see if there’s actually something wrong with my water from the 56g since I’ve been having trouble keeping acans and gonis but everything else like torches and hammers ect are all doing great so I noticed the Superman isn’t opening to its fullest and looks tiny and closed. I know the size of the Superman is much bigger than what it looks like. I tested everything that I know I’m supposed to test am I missing something that I should be testing? I’m probably going to end up transferring it to the 8g until I can figure out why certain corals aren’t doing to good in the 56g

Kh 8.7
Mg 1400
Ca 515
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 35
I Just bought a Superman disco from Arvin the other day I put the superman in my 56g along with the new torches I bought from AC from there Father’s Day sale. I also bought a tequila sunrise from Arvin but I put that one in my 8g because I know my tank water is great and thriving. Both corals are healthy but I wanted to see if there’s actually something wrong with my water from the 56g since I’ve been having trouble keeping acans and gonis but everything else like torches and hammers ect are all doing great so I noticed the Superman isn’t opening to its fullest and looks tiny and closed. I know the size of the Superman is much bigger than what it looks like. I tested everything that I know I’m supposed to test am I missing something that I should be testing? I’m probably going to end up transferring it to the 8g until I can figure out why certain corals aren’t doing to good in the 56g

Kh 8.7
Mg 1400
Ca 515
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
0 nitrate is not good. Mine is between 5-10, on a side note test your Phosphate as well. Also give the Acans a few days to adjust to your tank parameters.

0 nitrate is not good. Mine is between 5-10, on a side note test your Phosphate as well. Also give the Acans a few days to adjust to your tank parameters.
Stupid question but what phosphate tester should I be using I don’t think I’ve ever tested that.

You just need one. Go with the ULR
Just so it’s clear because there’s a few different ones that look similar, the one you want it HI774 Ultra Low Range Phosphate PPM Checker. Difference is range/accuracy. For what we test, this one is good. Hanna has a sale right now. 15% off and free shipping

Attachments

• IMG_8861.png
    IMG_8861.png
    145.8 KB · Views: 22
What’s the difference of the Hanna low and ultra low range? Do I need both or just the ULR
Just need ULR. We usually don't run in the range that the LR tests at. ULR is 0 - 0.9ppm. If you're over 0.9ppm then you can cut the tank water sample in half with 5ml tank water and 5ml rodi and get a reading then double it to find out actual. But you should never let your tank get anywhere close to 0.9ppm in the first place.

Just so it’s clear because there’s a few different ones that look similar, the one you want it HI774 Ultra Low Range Phosphate PPM Checker. Difference is range/accuracy. For what we test, this one is good. Hanna has a sale right now. 15% off and free shipping
Thanks for letting me know about this sale this helps out a lot I’ll order one right now!

Just need ULR. We usually don't run in the range that the LR tests at. ULR is 0 - 0.9ppm. If you're over 0.9ppm then you can cut the tank water sample in half with 5ml tank water and 5ml rodi and get a reading then double it to find out actual. But you should never let your tank get anywhere close to 0.9ppm in the first place.
Ahh ok got it, hopefully my tank isn’t to bad. This helps in case it doesn’t go over I’ll keep that in mind.

Is that Nitrate? High nitrates don't seem to be too much of an issue majority of the time. High phos on the other hand will definitely show unhappy corals. I've ran phos as high as 0.5ppm and things were fine but rather keep them down under 0.2 if possible.

But nutrient levels also depend on what type of coral you're keeping as some are more tolerant than others. But 0 nitrate and 0 phos is never good and that should be agreed upon across the board.

Yeah, that was 40 plus on the nitrates that day.

High phos on the other hand will definitely show unhappy corals. I've ran phos as high as 0.5ppm and things were fine but rather keep them down under 0.2 if possible.
1718719526198.png

Not all rules are rules ;)

This was the tank that day.

1718719559406.png

For the record, I don't disagree that this is high, but I never saw any bad effects from too high nitrates or phosphates. Given this was a 4-5 year mature system with 250 gallons.

Yeah, that was 40 plus on the nitrates that day.

View attachment 57447

Not all rules are rules ;)

This was the tank that day.

View attachment 57448

For the record, I don't disagree that this is high, but I never saw any bad effects from too high nitrates or phosphates. Given this was a 4-5 year mature system with 250 gallons.
There are always exceptions to the rule. And specially once your system is matured and you are a more advanced reefer. But generally I don't think it's good advice to give newer reefers the idea that this high of a phos level would work for their tank.

There are always exceptions to the rule. And specially once your system is matured and you are a more advanced reefer. But generally I don't think it's good advice to give newer reefers the idea that this high of a phos level would work for their tank.
I'd tell a new reefer to try to hit 1-10 nitrates and .03-.1 on phosphate. Lower than that risks dinos and means you aren't feeding enough to me. I have never seen anyone with good data showing that high phosphates actually causes a problem.

Back