Jestersix

Need electrician to install GFCI's

kinetic

Supporting Member
Anybody know a good electrician who can come and install some GFCI's for my tank? I want two independent ones, such that if one trips, the other one won't be affected. Not sure if that's possible... =/ But anyhow, I live in berkeley, so if he/she can make it, please let me know.

Thanks!

If you are just replacing the standard outlet with GFCI, it's pretty easy thing to do man. I don't know jack about electrical and I was able to replace it myself.

I have the levitron outlets, but the outlet that I'm replacing has no ground =/ I'd need the electrician to install the ground into the wall probably, and I want to make sure the two outlets (which actually has 2 plugs each) wont' trip each other.

Hi,

I believe you are not really looking for a GFCI outlet. GFCI just stop people from getting shocked through the whole Ground Fault concept (which we could debate in length). Anyway, if ne tripped and you did setup a redundant outlet (if possible) then the second should trip just as quick. One ground fault would trip them both.

hmmm... i don't think I know enough about it to understand fully... but what you say makes sense. If I have two powerheads, one in each gfci outlet, and they're both in the same body of water, the GFCI's will both trip...

Art - if you are going the electrician route see if you can install separate circuit for the tank (I am assuming this is at your folk's home), and then install appropriate GFCI outlet.

Might as well put the aquarium stuff on a dedicated circuit so as to not trip the entire house or a larger portion of the house.

Dudley is correct you may not need an electrician to install the GFCI; however since you wanted an electrician you want someone more qualified than yourself (or perhaps you are uncomfortable about doing it) to install - nothing wrong with that.

I think other's have to remember this isn't your house (then again maybe it is). I would feel real bad if something went south real fast real bad while you were either on a business trip or on vacation and the house wasn't yours.

[quote author=Raddogz link=topic=1863.msg17683#msg17683 date=1174434956]
Might as well put the aquarium stuff on a dedicated circuit so as to not trip the entire house or a larger portion of the house.

Dudley is correct you may not need an electrician to install the GFCI; however since you wanted an electrician you want someone more qualified than yourself (or perhaps you are uncomfortable about doing it) to install - nothing wrong with that.

I think other's have to remember this isn't your house (then again maybe it is). I would feel real bad if something went south real fast real bad while you were either on a business trip or on vacation and the house wasn't yours.
[/quote]

Parent's house (which is why I can afford a tank in the first place, woot to wonderful parents, goodness I'm spoiled not needing to pay that much rent =) so they'd be PO'd if the house went down. Though they're totally into the tank too, my dad freakin loves the skunk cleaner shrimp. I dunno *shrug*. And my mom loves the xenia. "WHAT ABOUT THOSE AOG's MOM?" "huh? the cool hands move on that pink one!". *sigh* ok so I digress...

But the house is pretty old, it doesn't have any GFCI's anywhere else. I should probably look into installing gfci's in all my bathrooms...

I agree with most of these comments - I installed my own GFCI's and they are pretty simple to do a replacement on existing wiring. You do not need a ground, and in theory, the whole point of GFCI is to bypass the "safety" net of the ground.

A seperate circuit, means you have a dedicated circuit that comes from the main Fuse box in the house. This way you only blow the fuse on the dedicated circuit, and not the whole house :)

Back