Jestersix

Need floor checked

Reefinglens

Supporting Member
Hey all, I am moving to El Sobrante/San Pablo and I want to have the floor checked out where I plan on moving my tank to. Any referrals of local structural engineers would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

I have the same sized tank, if you look up my Wifebane tank journal, I have a few pics of what I did under the house. Basically I cut two squares out of the concrete "rat proofing" in the crawlspace, then dug it out about a foot, pouring in some concrete with some rebar and then plonked a concrete deck footing in there, then I cut and measured two 4x4 posts and put a 4x6 beam under where the tank would go, and put the posts under to support the beam, connected by steel Simpson galvanized steel connectors.
In retrospect, I probably could have saved myself some headache by using floor jacks instead of the wooden posts because, they are much easier to adjust and didn't require exacting measurements to install. I don't quite remember but I think I had to cut another 4x4 post and then I used a bottle jack to slightly push the beam (and floor!) up a touch to slide my exactly-cut 4x4 posts under the beam. A floor jack could have also helped with that part! Z

I thought I had photos of the completed beam/posts, but I guess they weren't on photobucket or something, I dunno.

Vince

Oh yeah, I forgot, the 4x6 beam I installed had to be shimmed on top due to the unevenness of the actual floor joists! So I bough a piece of flat steel, cut them to about the width of the beam (in theory 4") and then painted them black with rustoleum paint, I used one or two of them between the joist and ht beam. Some of the joists just did not make contact with the beam.

Back