Reef nutrition

Need measurements for auto-feeder footprint

Going to buy an auto-feeder but I am in the middle of building a custom screen for the top of the aquarium. Would like to know footprint of different models so I can do the cutout now and get the feeder later.
Any help and suggestions would be appreciated.
I have attached a photo to show you what I am calling cutouts.
cutout.jpg

Thanks!

I don’t think it’s necessary to have the top maker incorporate a cut out in the screen. ( this just makes another way your fish could jump out.) I have both the ehiem and apex auto feeders and basically just lay them on top of the tanks screen top. Here’s a photo of what i’m talking about.

Attachments

• F4E27F93-C31F-4C70-9C08-184F68CBCEBC.jpeg
    F4E27F93-C31F-4C70-9C08-184F68CBCEBC.jpeg
    60.1 KB · Views: 214
if you really need the measurements, i can bust out the ruler and measure for you. Let me add, there is a con about laying the feeder on the screen top. Every time I need to put my hands into the tank I have to grab the feeder and move it to the side. Grab the screen top & move it over, then go to work. If you have a dedicated cut out, you can just leave the feeder in place while removing the lid.

How’s the eheim compare with the Apex one. I had the apex one and sold it cause I switched to GHL but it’s nice having an autofeeder
The eheim one is better than the apex for smaller food. It's also a lot quieter, but not connected to a controller..

I too have my feeder dump through the screen top. I have one of the two Little fishes feeding rings below it.

if you really need the measurements, i can bust out the ruler and measure for you. Let me add, there is a con about laying the feeder on the screen top. Every time I need to put my hands into the tank I have to grab the feeder and move it to the side. Grab the screen top & move it over, then go to work. If you have a dedicated cut out, you can just leave the feeder in place while removing the lid.
Would really appreciate it if you would measure the Ehiem. Your reasoning about leaving the feeder in place is why I was thinking about the cutout.

Thank you for the pictures. This will put me in the right direction.
Sounds like the Eheim is the way to go.
Gets good reviews on a few sites.

Thank you for the pictures. This will put me in the right direction.
Sounds like the Eheim is the way to go.
Gets good reviews on a few sites.
Only thing I would change would be add a couple more cycles per day (max is 4) and be able to plug it in (runs on batteries) but they are pretty dang good

Back