High Tide Aquatics

Need suggestions for hanging LB pendants

Need some suggestions on how to mount 2 LB large pendants. Will be hung over a 48"x24"x20" tank. I was thinking of using some sort of shelving brackets screwed into studs in the wall but I cant find what I need. The tank has an external overflow which is 5" wide so the tank will be sitting an extra 5" from the wall.

IIRC studs are placed every 12" right? The LB large are around 20"x20" hung over 48". Will this idea work?

I am also open to the idea of using some bent conduit attached to the back of the stand. Just not sure if it can support the weight of these pendants. If I went this route, I would like something where I can move the pendants out of the way when I do maintanance. I also like the idea of using square tubes but not sure if this idea will need welding or if there are some type of assembly kits where you can just cut the pieces to size and put together with some type of attachments.

Studs are 16" at the center. 3/4" conduit bent will hold them fine; prime them and put a nice thick coat of paint on them or if you want to really protect them from saltwater (I want to try this still) shrink tubing from end to end

As long as the contractor followed the rules yes, it would mean dead center is a stud; I worked at a building where the studs were really odd (bad remodel, cheap cheap cheap) so every few the center was just plain hollow. I assume you will not have that issue.
Once I had the lights hanging and for brackets to attach the conduit I used plastic ones.
I would go the route of heath shrink tubing and skip paint.

Where can you get the heat shrink tubing? Do you need any special equipment to shrink it? Sounds like it could be better than spray painting krylon.

Nick

You can get it at some hardware shops by the foot and a heath gun would be ideal but a hair dryer might work as well. I'll check around here and post the places that would have it by the foot.

Thanks
I called Home Depot in Concord. They have 3/4" in packets. Not sure if they have by the foot though. I will swing by this weekend and check it out.

Nick

Looks nice doughboy, I wanted to hang the pendants from the ceiling originaly but I took a quick look in the attick of wehere i wanted to find a stud and there was no way i was gonna fit there. :D

Back