High Tide Aquatics

Nem Trouble

Blaise006

Supporting Member
Anyone ever have an anemone that “permanently” shrunk +90% and stayed that way?

The below anemone has lived in two of my tanks, that are well established. When I picked it up from a friend it was roughly fist size. Since introducing to my frag tank, it shrunk to roughly the tip of a pinky finger and has stayed that way going on a year. Pictures below.

The frag tank has a contagion that has caused issues for my SPS, and possible it is related. No way to prove it. I moved it to my large display at the 6 month mark, no changes.

The anemone has been with me close to a year now. Curious to know if anyone has seen this before, and/or experience with the causes.

E23E7C53-E48C-4B6E-AAA1-94E217C263EA.png
577E0743-A891-4FA3-995A-F0ECD5C846AD.png

Any zoa in the tank? Maybe chemical warfare .
Not in its current tank, but I’ve kept nems and zoas together for years and never had an issue before. I’d be hard press to think that’s changed. I haven’t gotten any new zoas in like three years either.

Not in its current tank, but I’ve kept nems and zoas together for years and never had an issue before. I’d be hard press to think that’s changed. I haven’t gotten any new zoas in like three years either.
Any other nem in the same tank? I had kind of same problem with zoas + 3 different RBTAs on the same tank. Activated carbon helps but does not completely resolve the problem.

Any other nem in the same tank? I had kind of same problem with zoas + 3 different RBTAs on the same tank. Activated carbon helps but does not completely resolve the problem.
Not any more. Lot most of my nems in the move to our new house. This was a replacement for those.

Prior I had 5 in the system and all were about the size of two fists.

D38E1C4D-4475-4B7F-B596-BC4A6F04CFBE.jpeg

Not any more. Lot most of my nems in the move to our new house. This was a replacement for those.

Prior I had 5 in the system and all were about the size of two fists.

View attachment 44479
I used to have 15 nems of same type in the same tank without problem.
Once I mixed in different type(s) of RBTA, I get same kind of problem (+ another problem of 1 or 2 tentacles receded and dropped from base daily)

Some discussion about chemical warfare of different kind of nems

I used to have 15 nems of same type in the same tank without problem.
Once I mixed in different type(s) of RBTA, I get same kind of problem (+ another problem of 1 or 2 tentacles receded and dropped from base daily)

Some discussion about chemical warfare of different kind of nems
Thanks for the link. The nem has been solitary for 8+ months but I’ll throw some carbon in incase.

Mine will deflate periodically but that’s pretty common and not what yours looks like. I would try feeding it some small pieces of shrimp. If it still is “sticky”, I’d keep feeding it every few days. If the food doesn’t stick, I’d be more worried. It doesn’t look unhealthy in the picture; just small.

Back