Our mission

New-ish to reefing in Davis, CA

Hi, I live in Davis. I tried a reef tank in 2014 but my timing wasn’t right. Trying again now. I’m not sure if Sacramento still has an active club. Wondering if there are regional reefing conferences in the Bay Area that would be worth me driving out for? And good learning opportunities? Thank you.

Sacramento has an active club (MARS) and a very, very active online presence on Facebook with the 916 club. However, and I am biased, if you don't mind driving and are looking for learning experiences and great events BAR is the place to be.

BAR hosts two frag swaps a year, attends and works at two Coral Farmer's markets every year, and has near monthly events scheduled all throughout the year. These include workshops such as fish food making, construction of good lid for the tank, speakers such as Richard Ross (formerly from Steinhart). Also, they tour places like Kessil and behind the scenes at Steinhart.

Sacramento has an active club (MARS) and a very, very active online presence on Facebook with the 916 club. However, and I am biased, if you don't mind driving and are looking for learning experiences and great events BAR is the place to be.

BAR hosts two frag swaps a year, attends and works at two Coral Farmer's markets every year, and has near monthly events scheduled all throughout the year. These include workshops such as fish food making, construction of good lid for the tank, speakers such as Richard Ross (formerly from Steinhart). Also, they tour places like Kessil and behind the scenes at Steinhart.
From what I understand, the Facebook site had an issue and there are no MARS events planned. For this market, is it just buy and leave or are there presenters? Thank you!

From what I understand, the Facebook site had an issue and there are no MARS events planned. For this market, is it just buy and leave or are there presenters? Thank you!
The coral farmer’s market is a bunch of vendors that come from all over the country to sell their coral. It does not have any presentations though. It’s not a macna type event.

The coral farmer’s market is a bunch of vendors that come from all over the country to sell their coral. It does not have any presentations though. It’s not a macna type event.
If you were new, and might not even buy anything yet, would it be worth the 4-hour round trip drive to you?

My Nano is. My primary should have been but my Waterbox 60g came shattered and it will be at least 3 more weeks before my replacement arrives.

The frankly the CFM won't be of much help to you. It is primarily a vendor market. However, the BAR frag swap in October would be worth the drive. Hang out with about 60 reefers from the club at Seven Stills Brewery and Restaurant. Bring three frags in and go home with 15-20 frags. Lot's of good reef talk and chances to pick peoples brains. Then the December meet-up with Rich Ross is a pure learning experience. You do have to be a member, and wear mis-matched socks, but Rich is a fascinating speaker and one of the clubs founders.

Back