got ethical husbandry?

Newbie from SF

Hi Fellow Reefers!

I am so excited at the prospects of learning and sharing information with all of you. I probably won't be sharing any information for a while as I am a total newbie to Salt Water aquarium keeping. I started out reading a ton, watching You Tube videos, visiting LFS'sssss and talking to anyone who would share info with me. I am glad to have found this forum.

My tank is empty right now as I am taking my time and trying to do this right - I already had one false start that cost me plenty of $$$.

TANK LIFE: Plan to put peaceful/moderately aggressive fish mostly as I want to keep plenty of corals and invertebrates.

TANK: 75gal (36W x 24D x 20H) Acrylic from TruVu with a black painted background, centered overflow box with integrated return system and a dry box

FILTER: 180 Platinum Series Refugium Filter w/ Skimmer Chamber (also from TruVu)

SKIMMER: EShopps PSK-100 in-sump

WATER MOVEMENT: Return Pump = Rio PLUS 1700 (@1ft = 620gph) plus two powerheads from Korelia Evolution (1 - 750gph, 1 - 550gph) - ***I am planning to go to a higher output return pump before getting underway

HEATER: Aqueon Pro 150 ***again, I need to go up a size (I'll use this one in my Rubbermaid water bin)

WATER PREP: 5 Stage PLUS RO/DI system from Bulk Reef Supply with an Aquatec 8800 booster pump

LIGHTING: LED from Aqua Illuminations - 2 Blue Modules

SUBSTRATE: Live Sand - 80lb

ROCK: Plan for about 70lb live rock; I have about 35lbs which is now dead and I will add 35lbs of live rock to it

I am a city apartment dweller but luckily I have an extra sink on the side of my kitchen which is perfectly situated to work from as I do this experiment called a reef tank.

Thanks for reading. I am open to any and all ideas, suggestions and advice. I plan to start my cycling on Sunday (15 May) with live rock.

Best Regards All Around,
Dennis

Rio is sort if a crappy brand for the return, but that being said I don't think you need more flow out of your return. The powerheads will make enough flow depending on what corals you keep. If you want a lot of SPS then maybe eventually a Vortech mp 10 or 40 would be a sweet upgrade.

Thanks, Mike. I am planning to replace my return pump anyway and use the Rio for my salt water bin. Any recommendations?

Also, how much live rock would you recommend I purchase?

Also, does the bulkhead gasket go inside the tank or outside? I think inside.

Thanks again.

Dennis

Since I started this hobby in around 2001 or 2002, I've been using a VIA AQUA return pump, 24/7 x 10 years. Via Aqua is a not a high end pump, it's down right ghetto, but you can't argue with 24/7 x 10 years!

Welcome to the most fascinating and frustrating hobby in the world! (in my world anyway!). Oh and expensive, but so are all hobbies!

My suggestion, if you want to do a reef tank is to skip the fish AT FIRST, so that you don't have to feed the tank, this will help keep your nutrients in check while you figure out the saltwater stuff. Alternatively, start with only fish and not corals for a while. Doing both at the beginning may be a frustrating balancing act!

V

Thanks, V! Sounds like good advice. I will probably begin fish only with some inverts like crabs and such and then move up from there.

Dennis

Back