Reef nutrition

Old Rocks in a new sump

yngplo

Supporting Member
Hey all, I'm coming close to closing down my 40-gallon tank as I've moved a majority of my things over to my larger 120+ sump. I was thinking about adding the rocks from my previous display into the sump of my new tank. Is this a bad idea?

tia

Hey all, I'm coming close to closing down my 40-gallon tank as I've moved a majority of my things over to my larger 120+ sump. I was thinking about adding the rocks from my previous display into the sump of my new tank. Is this a bad idea?

tia
What’s your goal?
Why would it be a good idea?

I do this to up the bacteria population in the new system and also just to keep the rock live. That way whenever I feel like starting another tank I have live rock ready to go. Just make sure your old rock doesn't have any pests you don't want in the new system.

I do this to up the bacteria population in the new system and also just to keep the rock live. That way whenever I feel like starting another tank I have live rock ready to go. Just make sure your old rock doesn't have any pests you don't want in the new system.
I don’t see why in the sump instead of in the display tho? Maybe I’m missing something? I’m not for keeping more rock just to have more rock. If you have a plan to use rock in another system it can come out of the display just as easily.
I find rock in a sump often leads to a messy clogged up sump. I guess if you had an unlimited amount of space in your sump, then maybe? I just don’t see a benefit

I don’t see why in the sump instead of in the display tho? Maybe I’m missing something? I’m not for keeping more rock just to have more rock. If you have a plan to use rock in another system it can come out of the display just as easily.
I find rock in a sump often leads to a messy clogged up sump. I guess if you had an unlimited amount of space in your sump, then maybe? I just don’t see a benefit
No room in the display for all the rock.

Back