Cali Kid Corals

Pest ID???

Angry Andy

Supporting Member
I was changing out my filter socks tonight and I have been turning them inside out after removing from the tank, because I have Bergia nudi's in my sump eating aptasia and some have made it into the display....

I found this flat looking thing in one of the socks....it looked shiny in the bottom corner of the sock, so I peeled it off a little and it moved.

Put it into a cup and sure enough it flattened out and started moving around.

Any ideas on what it is??

IMG_20201105_173858.jpg
IMG_20201105_173853.jpg
IMG_20201105_173844.jpg
IMG_20201105_173838.jpg
IMG_20201105_173819.jpg

thanks so much, looks like a leopard polyclad flatworm.

I dont have any clams, so it must be munching on my CUC....I *HAD* a bunch of trochus snails breeding, and now I know why I dont see many of them around.

Just replaced some Nassarius snails about a month ago.

I do dip everything I get, but now I need to get a QT setup....been looking for a while but too little too late..

Ya those guys are nasty buggers. The scary part about them is I'm not sure they love only on corals. So there could be eggs on rocks and such at this point. Don't quote me on that part though.

I'll second (or third at this point) polyclad flatworm. If I remember correctly different types eat different things, although it seems you may have ID'd a food source. The last one I saw in person was found in a tank with no known predation issues attributable to it, and was a couple inches long.

I'd never thought of it, but oddball pests is a reason to use filter socks, and also be sure to inspect them when they come out.

Very nice pics Andy, really helps with ID. I agree with everyone else and am sorry you have this.

I’m glad to hear the Berghia are doing their thing for you though :)

Back