High Tide Aquatics

Phytoplankton HOA Rules?

H2OPlayar

Supporting Member
How long until the HOA says something about this?

IMG_20240809_134007.jpg

I think it is greener than yesterday. Thanks @Coral Hub (Nathan) for the ferts and the phyto!

If they’re ok with the photosynthetic organism on the right they should be fine with the ones on the left.

Plus aren’t you in Vegas where literally everything is legal?

How long until the HOA says something about this?

View attachment 59351

I think it is greener than yesterday. Thanks @Coral Hub (Nathan) for the ferts and the phyto!
Hahah well I wouldn’t place it in a street view window! Some cold pills a few noxious chemicals and u got one of the most common shake-and-bake methods using 2 liter bottles for meth manufacturing no cooking required.. Looks very similar to your window display lol!!..
Hoa would be the least of worries!
Past profession used to find shake in bakes in vehicles & tents often.

Just hope that nosy neighbor, doesn’t see that it and report a possible drug lab.

By the looks of it to people who aren't in the know about reefing could look suspect.

Just hope that nosy neighbor, doesn’t see that it and report a possible drug lab.

By the looks of it to people who aren't in the know about reefing could look suspect.

It's FAR less an issue since legalization, Before that, a couple reefers a year would report either a raid, or a visit.

Everything was going smoothly until last night. Something happened to the colony on the left and it is a significantly different color overnight, likely dead.

Anyone who knows phyto know what happened here?

IMG_20240818_075157.jpg

Everything was going smoothly until last night. Something happened to the colony on the left and it is a significantly different color overnight, likely dead.

View attachment 59530
It is so difficult to get a diagnosis with phyto cultures. Just ask @Coral Hub (Nathan) how many times I've messaged him about crashes! LOL. But honestly, it could have been residual bacteria that has overtaken it. Maybe it was not sanitized enough before you started it. Maybe you used too much fertilizer.
There could be a multitude of variables is what I am getting at.

Have you checked to see what the temp of the cultures actually are? You've got focused light from the window and then the containers. And that is intense light. That would be my concern having them by the window. Phyto is so adaptive though, so it could be perfectly fine.

View attachment 59530
Sorry just seeing this. We phytoplankton contaminates really easy and fast. So many things could be at play, I would just clean the culture vessel really well and try again because without a scope you really can’t give a clear answer.

If you wanted a scope, highly recommend to make sure you check each batch to ensure you aren’t dosing a bacteria that resembles phyto, you can get on Amazon. Just make sure you can go to 100x

Back