got ethical husbandry?

PIF: Glass panels from Reefer 425XL

SupraSaltyReefer

Supporting Member
FREE FREE FREE
Glass panels from a Red Sea Reefer 425XL.
Yes, the seals failed. I’ve had these panels in storage for awhile. Must pick up in Pittsburg.
IMG_6021.jpeg

I wonder how difficult it'd be to make a bracing system and jig for resealing these. I feel there must be a way to repair these, if you're willing to compromise the visual a bit.

For example, if you turned one of these into a bottom rimmed tank, then silicone the seams into the rim. The side edges would be more difficult, but presumably you could also do a eurobrace conversion on the top and even more reduce side issues. Combine that with a jig for making an armored side seam, and would you be good to go?

I don't think there'd be money in doing the repair, but maybe a diy kit would be useful for people. I wouldn't sell that kit myself, since someone would them sue when their install fails, but ...

Seems wasteful and sad for that nice glass to go to the dump.

If you go to socalireefs. They reseal their aquariums all the time. It’s common in LA. They documented it. No jig required. They use corner clamps. This guy I know Eric. Built a 180 on his pool table. Crazy guy.

Red sea tanks once torn down and resealed are fine. I've done a few and am tempted to do this one but my wife would kill me...lol I still have glass for a 120gal just sitting in the house. Corner clamping is fine until you start doing 8ft or longer tanks imo. The trick is knowing how much to press the glass together so you have a thin but consistent gap of silicone between the panels. Saw a trick of using small squares glued to the glass before as a stopper/gap setter but I've never tried that.

Back