Neptune Aquatics

Pistol Shrimp

svreef

Webmaster
BOD
I just got one of these for the small tank and so far it has stayed in its burrow. How should I feed him? Do they walk around the tank at night looking for food or do they expect the food to come to them?

Me too. I got a hi fin red banded goby from Neptune last week and a pistol shrimp from reef cleaners this week. No bonding yet.

Answered my own question: dropped a couple of pellets in front of his burrow and he came out to eat right away.

Love pistol shrimp goby pairs. hellajealous.comb

Once it is paired, the shrimp should be more bold and willing to move around a bit more if the goby has its back. Awesome it is already eating!

What sized tank do you need for a pair. I think their relation is so neat I want a pair one day.

There’s been someone on Reddit posting videos of the view from below their pistol shrimp tank and it’s an awesome view of the tunnels

I know @thesassyindian has a pair in his 13.5

@max_nano

Yes I do!! I have a candy striped pistol shrimp and a Randall’s goby. They both rarely swim around the tank, so tank size shouldn’t be an issue.

The trick to pairing is to acclimate them together in a confined space. Mine paired up within an hour or so after adding to the tank. And that was mostly because the goby and shrimp were at opposite corners of the tank :)

85753A7E-A4F2-4AD0-8868-6BAAEAC51EC7.jpeg

See I'm worried about them finding each other in my 40 gallon. What if they each live separate lives on the opposite side of the tank from each other? Just sitting there all day wondering if their perfect partner is out there but never having enough courage to go find each other.

See I'm worried about them finding each other in my 40 gallon. What if they each live separate lives on the opposite side of the tank from each other? Just sitting there all day wondering if their perfect partner is out there but never having enough courage to go find each other.
Nope they will find each other for sure! It’s surprising how nature works! Absolute worst case, you could guide the goby towards the shrimp with a net or long handled algae scraper.

Getting a new goby soon (see fish discussion.

Will any goby bond with pistol shrimp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back