Cali Kid Corals

Pods vs UV sterilizer

fishy408

Supporting Member
Hi All,

I ran my tank fishless for about 6 months. During this time I seeded my tank with Apex Pods and fed it Phytofeast. Apex pods are super small, but once in a while, I may be able to spot it. After some time, I realized that may gone. When seeding, the Apex pods were released in the main DT (when I had sand) and also the refugium 1st chamber where I stored my bio media.

I always thought having pods and feeding Phytofeast was a sure bet for growth without any predators. Are cleaner/fire shrimps predators?

Research on UV sterilizers and Pods: From what I have read, the pods we get in the bottles are juveniles and they are more prone to UV sterilizers by damaging their cells and ability to replicate. Adult pods are less likely affected. BTW my UV is 57watt on a 40G IM.

Solutions:
  1. Turn the UV off for 3 months and allow the pod population to reach adult hood.
  2. Allow the UV to turn on for 12 hrs/day
Anyone else has issues building a pod population running a UV?

tia

Pods don't live in the water column. Depending on the species they will be found on the rocks, sand, glass, etc but not free swimming so it isn't likely that your sterilizer causing the loss of pods.

This is not completely true. During the larval stage, some copepods are free swimmers feeding on floating phytoplankton. UV could have definitely had some effect on the population depending on the flow rate through the Uv sterilizer.

“The larval stage of Tisbe pods is planktonic which means they swim freely through the water column early in their life span before settling into the rocks and substrate as adults.”

Apex-pods are similar

“Apocyclops panamensis are a cyclopoid copepod, spending part of their life cycle in the water column (planktonic) and the other part as bottom-dwellers (benthic).”

I agree with everything that was said before me. But I’m gonna play devils advocate. Pods kill pods. You’re running a super big uv. So nuke power to the max. While pods don’t live in the water column. They do migrate so some will become sterile. Having said that. When I first started trying to grow more pods. I’ve always run my uv 24/7. It took me a few years to really notice a lot of pods. So yes I do believe a uv will slow down pod production

This is not completely true. During the larval stage, some copepods are free swimmers feeding on floating phytoplankton. UV could have definitely had some effect on the population depending on the flow rate through the Uv sterilizer.

“The larval stage of Tisbe pods is planktonic which means they swim freely through the water column early in their life span before settling into the rocks and substrate as adults.”

Apex-pods are similar

“Apocyclops panamensis are a cyclopoid copepod, spending part of their life cycle in the water column (planktonic) and the other part as bottom-dwellers (benthic).”

Thanks.

Back