Our mission

Porites (pink sand dollar Porites) - Encrusting or Plating or...?

Patio

Supporting Member
I have kept my first Porites for a bit over a year now and am a little surprised by its growth pattern. I was under the impression that it was an encrusting coral but mine seems to be platting (with some upward cupping) rather than encrusting. I really like the how it is currently growing but it is time to find a good spot for it and glue it down. Should I assume it will keep plating and place it accordingly or could it change and start encrusting?

Here is a picture of the frag when I received it. It kinda appears to be plating here as well:

IMG_0116.jpg

Here is a current picture from today at lunch when the urchin was trying wear it as a hat (this is why I am needing to hurry and find it a permanent/ish spot and glue it down):

IMG_5286.jpg

Thanks for any feedback!

That's an idea. Do you think it would plate, cup or encrust on the back wall? I worry the current cupping would shade much of the coral if I put it on the back wall.
I don't know, which I think is the coolest part! I was thinking near the bottom, so it can grow up the back.

I’ve had it plate and encrust. Mostly encrust. It’s not super weird for some montis that encrust to start plating when they run out of stuff to encrust ime
Haven’t had this cup, but ime with monty caps cups vs. plate is mostly flow dependent.
And this one has historically been called pink not purple within the club I think for what it’s worth.

I’ve had it plate and encrust. Mostly encrust. It’s not super weird for some montis that encrust to start plating when they run out of stuff to encrust ime
Haven’t had this cup, but ime with monty caps cups vs. plate is mostly flow dependent.
And this one has historically been called pink not purple within the club I think for what it’s worth.

Thanks for sharing your experience, Mike. I updated to pink as well. I might glue it to the side of the rock overhanging some. It would be cool to get both encrusting and plating outward.

Back