Our mission

Questions about Peroxide dosing or dipping?

Have you guys herd about this Peroxide dosing practice:
https://www.manhattanreefs.com/foru...uestions-about-peroxide-dosing-dipping-1.html

Here is something that he is referring. You gotta read the refereed article to get all the details.
I like to dose with a dosing pump or gravity fed drip to provide steady dosing when possible.
I have several systems where I do just add it in all once. I will also sometimes use a pipette to add my daily dose to a particular trouble area with algae or Cyano.

Amounts are for 3% strength peroxide.
Week 1: 1ml per 30 gallons per day
Week 2: 1 ml per 20 gallons per day
Week 3: 1 ml per 10 gallons per day
Week 4: 1 ml per 8 gallons per day
Week 5: 1 ml per 5 gallons per day

You should notice over the weeks that your coral look brighter and more colorful just a little bit, and less algae over time. However keep a close eye on sensitive animals which will be your canary in a coal mine. Acropora and Montiopora will be the first coral to have a negative reaction. At these doses and gradually increasing them to effect would be that they may not open their polyps as much, and become paler. This is an indication that the nutrients in your system have been reduced to the point that excess is staying in solution long effect for it to build up in the coral.
Would this help with managing your algae issues?
My second question, would this help in preventing the ich infestation or velvet, in case you have something in your system that might have some eggs on them? For example if you add a coral and on the plug are some eggs, if you are dosing for a long time and your system is having good amounts of peroxide.

Yeah. I read from several forums, reefers dose their whole tank without any negative side effects, unless you OD, to remove gha.

Don't know about disease prevention.

There's a lot of info about peroxide dosing for fish diseases over here

As far as treating algae - I've never used it on an aquascape but I will often clean frag plugs etc with it. With zoa's I'll just dip them in 50/50 peroxide and salt water for a few minutes. for other stuff I'll treat the non-flesh with a qtip after pulling off as much as I can with tweezers etc

Reactions: JVU
I've tried dosing the whole tank with peroxide. It didn't help with algea.
I think it's risky; when I tried it, I used lower than recommended doses.

I’ve used peroxide to help with algae in my FW but haven’t needed to in my saltwater. It was most effective when dosed with a syringe directly on the problem areas. It didn’t effect fish or inverts at all.

Back