Neptune Aquatics

Rocks in a bucket of water. What’s the bacterial load?

RandyC

Supporting Member
So I had an extra aquabiomics test laying around and I was curious what was actually in my bin of rocks that was sitting in the garage. All the rocks started off dry and were either new or bleached then dried. I added various bacteria in a bottle, live (aquabiomics) sand, and initially some pods. It’s been in the dark with no food and just a really small pump for 2+ years. No heater.

Here’s what the report had in it. I’m not 100% sure what to make of it, but it does indicate that there should be enough ammonia-processing bacteria.

Attachments

• document.pdf
    265.7 KB · Views: 131
Thanks for sharing. Nothing shocking. I think the message is that the rocks seem safe to use from a zero pathogen point of view. Some ammonia processors, no nitrite processors. If you are planning to put them in an existing tank they are probably fine. If you are planning to start a new tank with them I’d add bacteria in a bottle along with a low bioload of fish when you do.

So I had an extra aquabiomics test laying around and I was curious what was actually in my bin of rocks that was sitting in the garage. All the rocks started off dry and were either new or bleached then dried. I added various bacteria in a bottle, live (aquabiomics) sand, and initially some pods. It’s been in the dark with no food and just a really small pump for 2+ years. No heater.

Here’s what the report had in it. I’m not 100% sure what to make of it, but it does indicate that there should be enough ammonia-processing bacteria.
Great experiment!

Back